add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

TWO questions: 1. Is the mobo a bottleneck? R9 270 + AMD 1045t + BF4 and 2. crossfire question

gugu96

52 months ago

Attention all gamers with low budget! Big question is: does my PCIe 2.0 bandwidth is enough? should I upgrade the mobo to get twice as more bandwidth or is it pointless for my usage?

rig setup: I'm currently on a Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 AMD760G AM3+ (with pci-express 2.0); CPU is a Phenom II x6 1045t (stock, without turbo) so it's slower but with many cores; The gpu is Asus R9 270 OC (stock, no overclock) pci-e 3.0; ram is 1866 limited to 1333 per the mainboard spec.

I'm trying to get the best out of this system to play BF4 at 1080p on the highest possible settings. I used to get about 74fps, great details, smooth playing. But dang it I tweaked something somewhere and now the video sux (not that bad, but not on par with what I had "before"). Can't seem to find the optimal settings I had for 1080 rez.

Currently on custom settings, some presets at High, some AA turned off. Getting 60fps but I want more smoothness than what I get at the moment. As long as I have 60fps, full details, super smooth, I'll be happy. I don't need 4k and I don't need above 60fps.

Mantle/DX driver give the same fps.

Second question: lets suppose I get an A88X motherboard with 2 pcie slots, would it be better to crossfire 2x R7-260x or just keep my R9-270 or get an R9-280x? To play BF4, not to brag about my gpu.

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

SOLVED: I have an MSI A78M-E35 lying around, I'll use this motherboard with a brand new 860K that I have ordered last night. The mainboard has pcie 3.0 and the 860K will give me higher clock frequency at the cost of 2 cores that I probably didn't need that much.

noite: If the motherboard permits without any problem: I'll probably overclock it to 4ghz since I don't want to use the builtin turbo features (disabling cores?? what an idea!).

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the heads up! It's sad because I bought the mobo recently (December) to upgrade the computer a bit (I was running on ddr2) but now I realize maybe I was wrong. I think it's time for the 860K, I'll think about it.

Upgrading to an FX cpu would probably help but I feel like it's throwing money out of the window. But it would mean I only upgrade the cpu, final. On the other hand, saving a few bucks and buying only a cpu would mean I'm still running on pcie 2.0. I need to read more about benchmark to see if pcie 3.0 bandwidth would really make that much of a difference.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube