add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it safe to skimp on a Mobo?

Kumiko

53 months ago

I'm certain no one should get a cheap PSU, but what about a motherboard that is mid-range/tier? Is it necessary to get the best Motherboard and PSU I can afford?

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 3 points

With motherboards, the more they cost, the more advanced features they have that most people don't use... Basically, get one that does all you want it to do and has good reviews. Some people will get exactly what they want with a $100 board and others demand specific things that are in a $300 board. Just match the features YOU need.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

It would really depend on what you want to do with the system and your definition of cheaping out and what you cpu you are going to use, you shouldn't use a $30 H81 motherboard with a i7 or a FX 9590 with a micro atx FM3+ motherboard.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, H97 is decent, so would that ok with like a i3-4160 and R9 270? And would it be expected to do great for about 5+ years? My main concerns are reliability and lifespan. I know I should go with a good Z97 board, but I wanna know what is recommended for an average gaming PC. I have many part lists from $450 to about $1,300. I guess cheaper builds :l

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

You don't need Z97 for an i3, since it is locked. H97 is the best fit.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

you shouldn't use a $30 H81 motherboard with a i7

I know someone who has been doing so for about a year and a half and has caused him no problems..... Granted he doesn't overclock but using an i7 on a h81 mobo is completely safe.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed. Got a Gigabyte H81 with an i3 (OK...not the same league as an i7 but whatever) for my friend's build because of money and it works just fine. Even the BIOS was pretty nice.

As long as you don't try and mess with the BCLK or get very high-speed RAM H81 works just fine for Haswell Refresh.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Substandard power supplies besides not being able to provided stated power, can cause weird annoying problems. "Best" would not be necessary but cheaping out in any way is just asking for trouble.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah :\

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube