add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this even close to being accurate?

Kumiko

54 months ago

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4690K/2384vs2432

If the difference is really this small, it's crazy to get an i7-4790K. I was wondering if it is worth it for the i7 over the i5 and how much longer it would last. Not exactly lifespan, but how long would it remain effective?

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

I wouldn't use that site to do a detailed comparison between two cpu's, its worth it if you are using it for a workstation and use programs that can use the extra threads, it will make a noticeable difference or maybe streaming but for gaming its a waste of money, it really won't be much more future proof, games are just now beginning to phase out dual cores, devs aren't going to make a game where you need a $300 cpu just to play it which the majority of people don't have, I'm pretty sure a first gen i5 is capable of playing all games out there and with how weak the "next gen" consoles are, games really aren't going to require more cpu power than a i5 4690K for years to come, you probably could get by until they release the new consoles.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1261?vs=1260

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool :) But would it be worth it if I did multi-tasking a lot or streaming? I don't think I will, but those 8 threads sure are nice. xD Thanks for the help~

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

You would have to do a lot of multi tasking,you would probably have to try like trying to run two games at the same time and rendering or just gaming and rendering at the same time to need a i7, the extra threads would probably be useful for streaming.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

But I could still Stream with the i5, right? eh... I'll probably just buy an i7 later if I need to for streaming. I could put the old i5 in a older PC or sell cheap to a friend. Thanks again :) Very helpful info

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

But I could still Stream with the i5, right?

yes ... pretty much

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

okay

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Both are very strong in the gaming and desktop areas, but notice how the 4790K pulls ahead of the i5 in the workstation section. i7s have hyperthreading which allows each single core to function as two. This is helpful for multithreaded workloads, like video editing. Some games take advantage of it, as well, although it's rare.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I know this, but will cheaper motherboards have a long lifespan like an expensive one? (Example: comparing H97 board to Z97)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

No. Motherboards are built very well and will easily outlast most other parts of the build, like the GPU, power supply, and storage, even if they are of not-so-great quality.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

So basically..... The chipset just means I will have more features? The quality barely changes at all?

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Quality has more to do with manufacturer than chipset. Pretty much all consumer mobo manufacturers make quality board. ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI are all reliable.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, very good to know :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube