add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Converting Hard Drive with Windows to an external hard drive

ITneto

54 months ago

So my laptop Asus U52F's hard drive filled up completely yesterday, I already had ordered a brand new 850 EVO and it should be arriving as we are speaking, I already have an enclosure for the 2.5, 5400 rpm hard drive, it didn't came with any instructions so I thought just getting it out and installing it on the enclousure would be enough it clealy didn't work, I tested it with two fresly formatted laptops and it didn't even appear on the Disk Management (w7). The drive is completely functional, the enclousure lights up, and I can hear the drive rotating just as I plug the USB cable.

Can I simply use the Windows loaded drive as an external hard drive? I don't want to format it, I need the data inside it urgently and I have nothing to make the data recover.

Please HALP

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

To eliminate the enclosure as source of problem, test the enclosure with another verified working HDD. e.g. One of the HDDs from " two fresly formatted laptops"

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Didn't work either , So is the enclosure faulty? :((

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

If you installed a HDD from one of the "two fresly formatted laptops" into the enclosure and tested the enclosure connecting to USB port on one the "two fresly formatted laptops", then yes, the enclosure is likely defective/damaged.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

It feels agressive when you say it like that, but yeah I took one mechanical drive and plugged it to another laptop, I also checked if any driver was missing. I'll be returning the enclosure tomorrow, thanks for your help

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I wrote it that way since I'm working with what you have listed as available and do not want misunderstanding occurring somewhere with all the parts being swapped in and out like tic tac toe.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks you , the enlcosure came faulty as you said I'm now typing with the ssd installed and I have everything backed up in the new enclosure

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube