add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is 850W enough?

Kumiko

54 months ago

Here's my list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $31.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $134.58 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $60.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $32.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.67 @ NCIX US
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Tri-X Video Card $323.98 @ Newegg
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $48.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $49.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan $19.98 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1075.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-26 12:45 EDT-0400

I previously had chosen a 750W EVGA PSU, but now have the 850W EVGA B2 selected. I'm considering adding another R9 290X later and wanted to know if I would need 1000W or if 850W is enough.

And IF I don't add another R9 290X, is it okay to have an OP PSU? Just wanna be prepared ahead of time.

This is the Tier list I used to pick my PSU: http://i.imgur.com/tgrbCnr.jpg

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 3 points

That second gen EVGA PSU will be fine in quality and performance. It will probably be more than enough, leaving some good headroom between what it can deliver and what you'll use. (Too little is bad as it makes the PSU work too hard, and too much is just a waste of your money.)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

1000W if I crossfire R9 290X though?

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

That's probably a bit overkill. It'll work though.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, thanks~

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

http://www.eteknix.com/4k-gaming-showdown-amd-r9-290x-crossfire-vs-nvidia-gtx-780-ti-sli/13/ - 657 watt system load (may be a bit generaous as the cpu in this test is a power hog I almost don't believe 657 watt, but maye it's all at stock clocks)

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/01/amd_radeon_r9_290x_crossfire_video_card_review/9#.VWSvtM9Vhu4 - 780 watts from the wall (694 watt load on the psu with the one in this test) with a 4.8ghz 3770k

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-r9-290x-vapor-x-8gb-cf-review/18/ - 629 watt system load with models that have high stock clocks/voltage and double the vram of the ones you're getting.

do you need a 1000 watt psu? clearly not. it wouldn't hurt of course. just be aware you are looking at a decent price increase from this 850 watt for a decent 1000 watt.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The only good 1000W I've found is about $160 :( But the Supernova B2 850W is only decent. Yes, probably good enough, but if I can get something a bit better for just another $20, I will. The EVGA Supernova B2 850W Bronze is $90.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

you can't. you can get some much better 850 watt units around $130, then you're closer to the good 1000 watt. you could always go with a pair of 970's and a XFX TS 650 watt.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I decided on the G2 Gold 850W, but will it struggle? With R9 290X CF, it will go up to 700W I think. Also, I refuse to get a GTX 970 :l Don't wanna deal with 3.5GB VRAM.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

that tier list is outdated. 850 watts is enough for a 290X crossfire setup. what's with the 12GB of ram?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks :) and 12GB RAM because I wanted to have plenty :P Yes, 8GB is enough, but I just wanted 12GB.

Also, how outdated is the list? Why wouldn't those PSU's still be good not even a year later? I think it was compiled maybe middle of last year.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

it's not that the psus on it may not be good, there is plenty of crap on the tier lists and properly tiered where it belongs. that list has mistakes and plenty of units not on it. you can find an up to date version here.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

For 2-way XFire 290X, go 1000w. Those units take a load of power...

And yes, it's ok to have more wattage than required. It's actually recommended as PSUs have their highest efficiencies at 50% load.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

so he should get a ~1250 watt for 1% higher efficiency. good to know.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

It might be more... For all we know, companies are just making sure to hit the required goals and have poor performance everywhere else.

1250w might be a bit much; you have to balance the efficiency at the expected load (those sites usually post the full load wattage which isn't usually reached outside of testing) with the cost of the unit and if you plan to expand later on. But an extra 100~200w is usually good for any OC and to compensate for the aging of the PSU.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

it is about 1% better from 80% to 50%. that said, an 850 is having around 150-200 watts headroom with an i5 and a pair of 290X's.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

150 ~ 200w headroom? Really? They can pull 300w each, with 75w from the PCIe slot, 75W from the 6-pin connection and 150w from the 8-pin connection. Per: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Unless those 290Xs had some different connection setup like the STRIX GTX 970 vs other 970s.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

power connection do not dictate power draw. if they did, the 970 strix would consume less power than the gigabyte gtx960 WF2OC and the same as the evga gtx 960 gaming. it simply doesn't work that way. the Titan Z and R9 295X2 consume less power than the 290X Lightning? I think not. you can go in the bios of any gpu and set how much power can be drawn through each pci-e connector as well as the pci-e slot. just because it's there doesn't mean the cards use them fully. the cards can pull way more than 300 watts each. so can a gtx 970, but that runs 420 watts system load in SLI. sites and calculators that go by TDP and connectors are pretty useless in the face of real world testing.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

750W is enough for the build if u want to update for another card yes get 850W but get a gold certified brand i guess the comments already suggested that. But heres my warning why u using this weird ram config if u need more ram just buy more ram but within 1 kit since ur ram will be sooo slow like this get this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c9d16gxm pretty fast. or this for over kill :) http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c9d16gzh

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

How do you know it's much faster? and I don't want or need 16GB, 12GB is just to ensure I have plenty for a long time. How would a 3rd stick make it slow? The other 2 would be dual-channel and the 3rd would be on it's own.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

not really dual channel will work faster alone. It wont really work in dual channel when u have 3 sticks. it will be costing u about 3-4 fps

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

2 sticks are in dual-channel, another stick won't affect them because of different slots.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

it will affect the overll perf. Its cuz using the third stick as well so instead u will be saving data to the three of the sticks instead of 2 fast so they cant work in combo (dual channel). u get my point? its not if u need the extra ram but its lways gonna be slower :)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I hate this design or whatever the cause of this is. :( Basically I'm forced to get 4x4GB just to have anything more than 8GB. Thanks for info though

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

btw just found this awesome deal u can get http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20850xr one of the best psus out there for 100$ on newegg promo it comes with 10 year warranty and awesome features :)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point
  • that's the psu he decided on days ago
  • it's currently $150 at newegg and $115 after a $35 MIR
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

ohh lol sorry :P

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube