add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Kumiko

49 months ago

So this is my try at making something that destroys in comparison to consoles :)

Yes, it is $415 so that's a bit more than what a console costs, but I think it isn't a problem since a PC can do so much more than something mainly designed for gaming alone. I've done a lot of research to find the absolute best parts for this and here it is!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $70.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $59.40 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $35.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $27.00 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card $108.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $35.10 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $38.70 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $393.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-25 13:31 EDT-0400

CPU: Because I've read that is basically the A10-7800K without integrated graphics.

Motherboard: I looked for a tier list and the A88X is supposedly 'Top-of-The-Line' for FM2+ CPU's.

Memory/RAM: Though I could have gotten a single stick that is 4GB, I went with 2x2GB for Dual-channel so hopefully it'll perform a bit better. But of course if it doesn't really matter, I will go back to the Mushkin 1x4GB stick that was $27 I believe.

Storage: Because pretty much the best I can do without going over the budget. (Which was previously a max of $400-405)

Video Card/Graphics Card: I think it's the best I could fit into this and I'm happy with it :)

Case: Though I could have gotten a cheaper case, it was too small and only had 2 Drive bays which were only intended for HDD's I believe because I couldn't even select an optical drive. I really like the Cougar case too :)

PSU: Chosen according to PSU tier list and should have plenty of power even if I upgrade later.

Optical Drive: Has highest ratings and will do what you need most the time. I will probably only use it to install Windows and maybe burn a few CD's later~

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

Not bad but most games will benefit from 8gb RAM.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Would you agree that I should just go ahead and spend a little more for 8GB RAM? (2x4GB)

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

I would say its worth it.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, probably worth it.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

When you say you chose the psu based on the tier list.. where were you aiming?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Decent to good. I got a fair PSU for the price I think.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

Pretty good build for $400 but the 8gb of ram is basically a necessity

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

So I should just go ahead and get 2x4GB RAM? It's only another $25 or so anyhow.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

And yes.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

I think without getting too far onto the slippery slope of.. it's just another $x I would try for just a bit more than $415.

You could get something like this.. dropped the optical drive as windows can be installed from a USB stick and you can get the drive any time.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $70.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ASRock FM2A88M PRO3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $51.30 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Mushkin Stealth 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $47.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $27.00 @ Amazon
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card $169.99 @ Amazon
Case Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case $25.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $53.10 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $446.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-25 14:00 EDT-0400

Your original psu would bring it down another $15.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I knew I could install with USB, but didn't really think about it. ._. Good job! :)

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

That would work

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, will I be able to put the R9 280 to full use? I forget how well it performs :l

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

Im more in tune with Intel nvidia but .. if an i3 doesn't really bottleneck a gtx 960 I'd say we were in the same boat with these two. Especially once overclocked.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I don't mean I'm worried about CPU bottleneck, just not sure if I will be able to use the 'full' 3GB. I know the i3-4160 does very well even with the latest games, but not sure how the Athlon X4 860K will do.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

You would be able to use the full 3GB usefully.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Now my only concern is the CPU :\

Should I get G3258 or i3-4160?

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

The i3, the Pentium struggles during multi tasking and can't play all games out there.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

If you feel like you can afford the 4160 I would. I'd take the 860k over the pentium unless you plan a fairly quick upgrade

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I'll do that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube