add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best for about $60 (Can vary in price by $10-15)

Kumiko

54 months ago

Liquid or Air? I'm sure there are pros and cons, but I need something that will keep my CPU fairly cool during use. I've noticed that the the 212 EVO is very popular, but not sure if I should go with that or Liquid Noctua.

Note: I will NOT be overclocking but I would like my parts to last as long as possible to avoid putting together a new PC later. (I'm almost certain I will never OC, but not sure. Won't be anytime soon though)

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Phanteks PH-TC12DX series outperforms the Hyper 212, but can cost as much as $60 before any possible taxes or shipping charges.

Phanteks PC-TC14PE series is even better, but it is a little taller too. and definitely on the +$15 side, and maybe even a little more, depending on the exact color you choose.

The stock CM Hyper 612 Ver.2, according to CM, is a lesser cooler than the Hyper 212 EVO, but if you upgrade the fan.... you get a bigger heatsink (with offsets for RAM and VRM heatsinks) which is better at passive cooling, and the better fan, while louder, will provide better cooling. (LEPA BOL12 series will do nicely and isn't too loud.)

There are Noctua offerings towards the +$15 side of the equation too.

Without overclocking though, any of these will probably do the job, including the less expensive Hyper 212 EVO. The others are better choices if you think you might overclock sometime in the future and you want to prepare now.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Just get something cheap that you like the looks of. It doesn't even have to be particularly quiet, because thermal load won't be increased too much if you aren't overclocking. CPUs aren't a component that degrades much as they age, and short of getting one that's DOA, they don't die often. Your stock cooler will bring the temps down into an acceptable range. Point being, your purchase of an aftermarket cooler for a non-overclocked CPU isn't going to make a noticeable difference to the lifespan just because it's running at 50c instead of 70c. JMHO.

My suggestion would be to get a solid budget air cooler, like a be quiet! pure rock or cryorig h7. That way you'll have a bit of room for overclocking IF you went that way, don't spend too much on it, and they're reasonably quiet.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

liquid in that range? not worth it... this would just mean throwing your money away as a 30 bucks air cooler (evo 212) would perform better.

If you wont be overclocking this is a nice cooler. (and it will let you light overclocks)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu9s

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The Phanteks PH-TC14PE, it even out performs the H100i.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Check out the Phanteks PH-TC14CS. Currently $65 at Newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709014

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube