add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Kumiko

49 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor $109.95 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $84.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $53.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card $179.99 @ Newegg
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $48.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $58.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $49.98 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $639.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-15 05:31 EDT-0400

So is there anything I can do to make it any better while maintaining the price? (Can vary by about $15)

I read that Asus has some of the best Motherboards and that the TUF versions are best for reliability and warranties. Only other concern is the PSU not having enough power and I may even add another Video Card or something so I was thinking about 600W or maybe 650W. Also, not sure how the Corsair CX series is so bad if they have such a high rating and so many people recommended them for so long. :\

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 3 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor $109.95 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $72.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $53.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card $162.98 @ Newegg
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $48.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $34.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $636.35
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $576.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-15 06:12 EDT-0400

do you really NEED a blu ray burner...?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I chose the other drive because it could do it all. I don't care for Blu-Ray really, but having the option is nice. Also, I should really specify "Note: Rebates are irrelevant and I will probably never use them.". But thanks, it looks good :)

Can you tell me why you chose that Video Card and PSU? I'm thinking Mail-in Rebates, but not sure.

Rebates make things much cheaper, but I don't know how they work and it all seems like such a hassle to do it.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

higher clock on the gpu i listed, and the psu i listed is cheaper.

its generally a solid build, i see nothing wrong with it but staffsMike's reply is much better

• 49 months ago
  • 3 points

Corsair WERE easy to recommend for a long time as they only re-branded seasonic power supplies (as far as I remember but I was out of the loop for a while).

Now they use the cheapest components possible to achieve their low price point and sell them based on their good reputation... not what most of us appreciate.

You can use them, they wont blow up or any of the over dramatic stuff you may hear but they are not that reliable and not suitable for overclocking nor would I want to use it anywhere near it's peak output.

As for your build it is largely a sensible selection of components. I don't think many people would ever need to burn a blu ray and merely having it there seems a bit of a waste but it's your money,

The Z97 motherboard you and zcheeley have selected are not particularly necessary as they are meant for overclocking and sli.

Your CPU does not overclock

Your Graphics card is AMD so uses crossfire and not SLi.

The H97 chipset is more appropriate given your uses but the prices are broadly comparable and Z97 will allow you to upgrade to an overclocking chip later...

If you do wish to crossfire your graphics card with another 280, you will most likely need a larger output on your power supply. I would say 750W will suffice.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube