add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

If I could do my first build over again, it'd look like this instead.

Moop1337
  • 61 months ago

I built my first build with the intentions of streaming, content creation, etc. I'm sure you get the gist. Unfortunately, now that it's up and running, I've finally came to senses and realized that what I really want to do is just share my life experiences, and upload vlogs. Maybe the occasional commentary over gameplay - nothing terribly intensive. My first build is quite overkill for these newfound tasks - a 4790k, 16g of ram, r9 290, full modular tier 1 750w psu, r9 290, a nice case (what's the point if it doesn't look great, right?=P,) etc. Were I given a second chance, my first build would look more like this. Of course not all of these parts were released when I bought my PC, but that's not really worth noting.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $103.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $47.98 @ Newegg
Memory Team Dark 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $49.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.00 @ Newegg
Video Card PNY GeForce GTX 960 2GB XLR8 Video Card $179.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $48.69 @ Newegg
Other DIYPC DIY-N8-W $39.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $616.62
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $606.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-12 01:13 EDT-0400

[b]CPU[/b] - The individual core performance of these Intel chips is fantastic. I'd probably go i3 for faster rendering for the vlogs, as well as more multitasking capabilities, but a Pentium is admittedly what I could have bought and gotten away with. That'd also save me a little bit with a mobo combo.

[b]CPU cooler[/b] - There isn't one. The stock is more than enough for either the i3 or Pentium. That's $40 saved right there.

[b]Motherboard[/b] - What is there to say about this? It has 6 SATA connectors, decent on board audio, saves me money since I no longer need to daydream about crossfire later on and do just fine with the single PCI 3.0 x16 slot, has a USB 3.0 header, and is cheap as chips.

[b]Memory[/b] - 8g of RAM is more than enough for these tasks, and it doesn't need to be particularly high performance for web browsing, uploading vlogs, or narrating gameplay. Not much to say here - single stick because the mobo only has two memory slots.

[b]SSD[/b] - May as well go cheap - I'm not doing tasks that benefit much from faster read/write speeds, and it's more of a boot drive with a few games and applications on it.

[b]HDD[/b] - Mass storage - 5400 rpm because it's quieter than the 7200 one I have in here.

[b]GPU[/b] - I really like the low wattage and thermal output of the 960s. I also might do dual boot Mac, and Nvidia allegedly has better drivers for that. Blower design to exhaust hot air out of the case, since we're limited by the one fan controller on the mobo. Asus just came out with a non-reference blower card that has two intakes, and it's white, so it'd match this case perfectly.

[b]Case[/b] - It's like a baby Phantom 240. This is one of the things that wasn't available when I bought my pc, and I wouldn't have considered it anyways without the 5.25 bay, but an external drive is an option. I also like the Comrade because it's cute, and I'm shallow like that. The case I went with is the 350d window, and I regret it. Just go for the $40-60 range, the $100 are a bit of a disappointment when you realize that their windows accept scratches just as easily, and more of a disappointment when you accept that these white plastic cases actually repel finger prints instead of absorb them.

[b]PSU[/b] - We get to go modest here with the PSU because of the low wattage requirements. 380-500 watts is perfect because you don't need to spend a lot for good PSUs in this watt range, which is another reason why I went 960. The PSU I chose was a 750w, gold, fully modular, tier 1. It was bought with crossfire in mind. My regret with the PSU, was actually that I spent the money to go fully modular. It was a feature I didn't even end up using, so that expense was wasted. Just go with a decent case for cable management.

Overall, what else is there to say? I don't regret my purchase, but I certainly overspent. I am a little bit frustrated, but then I look at the cost difference between the two builds in wages relative to how much longer I feel it will last, and it's at least a little bit comforting. Maybe I'm just venting from the rum and coke, or maybe this is a warning to be more realistic with your goal with your next/first build. Who knows.

Anyways, thoughts, comments, concerns, similar experiences?

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I would recommend a locked i5 over the i3, and a h97 chipset due to PCI-E 3.0. For 50$, Mushkin currently offers a dual channel kit. I would not see any point going below an XFX/ANTEC 550w. That is a good launching point for midrange systems. I would take a hitachi 1TB for storage over the green.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube