add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MS office and home theatre; high end audio and video....

mikek13
  • 59 months ago

Want to build a PC. Definitely no gaming. But want blistering performance for routine things like MS office and viewing photos and maybe even video. Want to display on a couple of big screens, the higher the resolution the better so I can get lots of documents and photos open at the same time.

Could do with a few USB3 sockets to connect to offline storage. Will put the OS on a solid state drive, but happy to put most of the other storage onto a bigger mechanical disc, and use external drives.

Probably stick with W7... but might try W8.

Would like it to be silent too. Probably need a couple of opitcal drives, although I don't cut many discs these days.

No real upper budget. But don't really know where to start.

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor $109.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $78.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $33.98 @ Newegg
Storage OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.99 @ Best Buy
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply $27.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $425.92
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $415.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-05 15:47 EDT-0400

Hello, maybe someone else can get it cheaper, but let me explain you each selected part.

Went with an i3 because of its low price, high performance , and especially this one for having 100 mhz faster clock. Chose the h97m Pro, because of the 6 faster sata ports. Didn't go dual channel on the ram , to let you decide later on if you want to upgrade Great, and easy case to work with. And a great psu for a low price

Sorry I had to write the desc, quickly

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Great- thanks.

Made me think I'd probably be happy to have a mother board with more USB3 sockets... and maybe no sound or video... I fancy a high end audio card... but I'm confused by the range of video ... and I guess with no gaming, I don't need high end.

But I guess I can add high end sound card anyway.

But thanks for getting the ball rolling!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube