add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

VGA cooling for Nvidia GT640

gugu96

57 months ago

I bought a GT640 with 3gb or ram and it heats up a lot. I tried returning the card but I bough it second-hand and it wasn't worth wasting more of my time to get a few dollars back. if I try to run a game (BF3 for instance), once the map is loaded and I start moving it crashes. Temperature reaches the max. Somehow the card has a problem: sensors report temperature and monitor says it sends current to the fan but it's not spinning. fans works properly when plugged into something else than the vga card.

ok enough said, I need cooling. It has to be 43mm mounting holes. It has to be efficient but cheap. I would prefer copper but I get since I'm cheap it'll be aluminium. I can probably afford to stick extra heatsinks on the ram module though.

Any suggestion?

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

So you are saying that the card overhearts and hardware monitor softwares indicates that it's not spinning and the fan only works properly on anything other than the fan port on the graphics card right?

I fear that the fan port on the card is basically dead so you are not getting the fan powered up to dissipate the heat. So even if you get a replacement aftermarket cooler to replace it, the fans won't be powered up because of the bad fan port on the card. You are left with only three options, returng the card back to the seller for a refund, replacement or better yet, purchase a new graphics card.

Don't mind me but why did you go with a 3GB VRAM GT 640? The performance is not enough to saturate the VRAM lol.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought it only because it was a cheap GT640 (it's ASUS-built OEM for Dell in fact), not because it had 3gb or memory. 1gbwould have been good with me!

When the computer is doing POST the vga fan spins for 1-2 second, like it should. And then nothing...

vga fan header is 2 pins only, so that's why I'd like some other solution, something that would provide the 3rd wire needed to adjust speed.

I'm considering the 4th option: cool the card with external power (molex or fan header). I just want an aftermarket cooler that will conduct heat more efficiently than the stock heatsink/fan.

My actual 4th plan is to have 2 dedicated fans to push air directly onto the card's heatsink; 2 intakes from the side of the case. Unless I find a vga cooler that does the job for a relatively low price. It's a cheap solution but I figure it's not the best one.

I just want to have a decent graphic card so I'm not stuck with integrated graphic.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Some video cards that don't have any physical fans plugged in through the header will cause boot problems. You are better off purchasing another lesser card that can actually perform and cool off passively.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube