add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Audio Cracking, static update: issue fixed - but other questions about memory

jpstep2
  • 13 days ago

previous post:

jpstep2

8 months ago

My audio works fine with only the window playing the audio open. The audio cracks when I open up a second window such as a new browser window or even a basic game like solitaire. My build is a few months old and have had this issue the entire time. Any guidance on how to solve this issue would be appreciated.

Audio is plugged into amplified speakers via the motherboard and a 3.5mm jack.

i5-9600K MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3400 Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 SSD MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Titanium Windows 10 pro

Complete parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jpstep2/builds/

Update: The audio issue was fixed by turning off XMP in the bios. Memory now runs at 2133MHz vice 3400MHz. No more audio issues. My benchmarks run about 15-20% slower but I have not noticed a difference in speed during normal use. All of my bios and firmware updates were applied prior to reducing the memory speed but they did not fix the audio issue. Would this be caused by a motherboard issue or the memory itself?
The memory (Patriot 16GB Kit (2 X 8GB) 3400 MHz (PC4-27200) Viper 4 Series DDR4 2400 MT/s DRAM (PV416G340C6K) is on the QVL for the motherboard (MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC). Why does the memory run at 2133MHz and not 2400MHz with XMP turned off? I am looking at G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Model F4-3600C16D-16GVKC as a replacement memory that can run in XMP mode, but it is not on the motherboards QVL. Would this be safe to buy?

Thanks in advance, Jeff

Comments

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

Update 2: Since memory speed seemed to be related to the audio crackling, decided to try different memory speeds. Tried 3600, 3466, 3333 and 3200 with XMP off but would not boot. There are at least three ways with this motherboard to change RAM speed without going into manual configuration. This RAM is well rated for overclocking, but did am not comfortable (have not done that before) with manually changing timings. With XMP on was able to get stabilization at 3466 and no audio crackling. Why would this matter?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube