add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is AMD the way or not? 3600x or i7 9700k

Jahvel

1 month ago

I've grown up around intel products. Lately AMD has been doing great with their release of their new line of CPUs, which could lead to the fall of intel as the top dog in the near future. For 1440p gaming its basically the same minus a few frames, I will also be doing some content creation as well. But I have seen people talking about how AMD has crappy drivers while being less dependable than Intel. Can this be true, will I eventually regret it????? I need answers! ):

EDIT: 3700x vs 9700k

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

Why a 3600X instead of a 3700X?

For 1440p gaming its basically the same minus a few frames,

It is not. Resolution has nothing to do with CPU performance. The CPU will perform the same at 480P as it would at 16K. The only reason why you see results like that is because once you start going past 1080P you start becoming GPU bound at max settings which turns the CPU benchmark more or less into a GPU benchmark. This method works if your goal is just max settings and nothing else but if you have a particular FPS goal like most people do using GPU benchmarks to pick out the CPU is dangerous. You can get the same FPS as you do at 1080P at 4K if you adjust the settings. You need to keep the CPU in mind for FPS since while graphical settings are adjustable there isn't really anything you can do to make up for CPU performance outside buying a better CPU.

I will also be doing some content creation

With what programs?

. But I have seen people talking about how AMD has crappy drivers while being less dependable than Intel. Can this be true, will I eventually regret it?????

CPU's do not have drivers.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well I'm somewhat new when it comes to building PCs. I must have mistaken for AMD GPU drivers.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'll be using Photoshop with possibly Zbrush or blender

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/What-is-the-Best-CPU-for-Photography-2019-1620/

The 3800X is basically the same CPU but .1Ghz faster. It should match or beat the 9700K in photoshop. From some research the 9700K and 3700X the 9700K will be equal or slightly better than the 3700X and same goes for blender. Now if you are going to render using the CPU the 3700X would easily beat the 9700K.

Overall they will trade blows with one being slightly better than the other in certain programs but when there is a large difference it is going to be from the extra cores on the 3700X which would allow it to run away from the 9700K. So get the 3700X.

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

AMD is the way.

At 1440p you're going to be held back by GPU almost every time. For content creation, AMD is now king.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

For 1440p gaming

3700X vs 9700K almost does not matter since most monitors of this resolution are 60-144Hz. If a title cannot run at these low refresh rates with the 3700X it will not on the 9700K either. That the 9700K may cough up a couple of percent over the 3700X should not factor in your choice.

I'll be using Photoshop with possibly Zbrush or blender

3700X will be faster in bench tests, real life application, it depends on the scale of your operation - i.e. professional rendering (in which case you would be asking about Threadripper Vs W3175 etc type CPU's). Smaller scale loads, 3700X Vs 9700K is similar to the gaming discussion, a few percent in favor one over the other.

Choice path => Ryzen is a newer more refined chipset than the Intel Z390 - which is ostensibly dead or in it's death throes. Motherboards are way overpriced with poor availability. Ryzen is a no brainer choice here in my opinion. I would not even consider Intel a viable option until they ditch Lake.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'll say this.

I recently moved to Ryzen. Reason being that the CPUs were of a newer gen and the prices were attractive. Now, I have run games and compilers and find that I lost nothing versus my Intel chip except the hefty price tag they have attached. On top of that, I gained PCIe 4 (which remains unused but... time will tell) and can run stable even if I OC my CPU.

Now, can I OC my CPU as much as I did with team blue? No. Does it matter? No. I still get better performance where it counts (compiler) and the video card I have takes care of all my gaming needs... CPU helps for nothing as I am not a "pro gamer".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube