add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Does speed matters?

doggybear

1 month ago

I'm planning to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 2600 and an ASRock B450M PRO4 mobo. My friend is offering me 2x8gb hyperx fury 2666MHz memory at a significant price discrepancy compared to a 3000MHz one. Will the speed difference really be a factor if the PC will be used majorly on gaming?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes RAM speed does matter. Clock speed is only one aspect of it and not all RAM sticks are equal.

Quite honestly it would have to be one heck of a deal for me to choose 2666 over 3000 for Ryzen. 3000MHz and 3200MHz sticks are cheap today. I scored a couple of 32GB CL 16 sticks for the measly cost of $90 and the 2 x 8GB model was $70. Unless your friend is giving away that 2666 for free or for the price of postage I would say thanks but no thanks.

Newegg have some fantastic deals for CL16 3200MHz Ram and Ryzen likes this RAM as well.

If it was an Intel Chipset and I had a H or B series motherboard I would have a radically different opinion.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

My friend is offering me 2x8GB HyperX Fury 2666MHz memory at a significant price discrepancy compared to a 3000MHz one.

That must be a bloody deal. So, for how much?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

In my experience no it won't. My son and I both have near identical Ryzen 5 2600 systems. His was built with all new parts and 3000MHz RAM. Mine uses some recycled parts from a previous build, including some 2666MHz RAM that I already owned.

In the games we play (Fortnite, PUBG etc), I cannot tell the difference.

I realise that I'm going against the received wisdom and YMMV, but that's my 2 bits.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well thanks for the info. Atleast there ks an actual comparison made

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It may make a difference, but it depends a lot on the game engine and how it accesses memory. For a not-quite-wild guess, figure on maybe 5% fps difference (might be more or more likely less), and decide from there.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. But will I eventually feel it?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Depends on how sensitive you are to a few fps difference. For most people I think I would say probably not. If you are a competition gamer then maybe.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube