add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is GTX 970 getting older?

hitmanlol2

1 month ago

Worried if I would ever have to get rid of my GTX 970. It would be heartbreaking for me. :( Until now, its working great. Giving the best performance it can but I am really afraid. :/

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

If its working great and you are happy with its performance why does it matter that it is getting older? I don't think it does.

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

As long as you know its limitations and play games accordingly you will be fine.

Also maintain it. Change the thermal compound, give it a thoriugh dusting, etc

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I've never in my life had to change the thermal compound!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well, its a good idea if the gpu is old. Thermal compound can become less efficient with age.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Never had to change it on a CPU or video card and still running a old i5 2500K.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

All I am saying is its a good idea if old equipment is getting hotter than it should.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Where do you have to put the thermal compound? I wasn't aware there was anywhere to put thermal compound. At least I don't see any.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

There is an old maxim - if it aint broke dont fix it.

GPU's live in terms of dog years. There will be a time you will have to put it down. Unlike a dog, no need to dig a hole in the ground when it croaks.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Why dig a hole? Thats what crows are for. And pigs.

;-)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What will eventually kill your 970 is lack of driver updates to match the Windows version updates. (I assume you're using Windows and not Linux or some other OS.) The hardware itself is getting older every minute, but fortunately that has no effect on performance. :-)

The 970 is a Maxwell architecture card. It's by no means new, but support is good so far, and (wild guess here) I expect that you can expect a couple more years of driver updates. After that, you can sit tight without updates for another couple years, if you're careful about what you do.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube