add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking a new CPU

snuba1

2 months ago

Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my CPU to something a little bit better and don't really know much about computer parts. I currently have a i5-7600k 3.8ghz along with a GeForce GTX 1060 6gb, Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI motherboard, and 16gigs of ram (side note is that a good amount of ram?). I was looking into the Ryzen 7 1700x as I've read that's it's very good but some sources also said my current CPU is much better? I just use this for mostly gaming and a little work. A heavy game I'm trying to build my setup for is Star Citizen if that helps!

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Are you sure it's the CPU you need to upgrade and not the GPU? And, how much are you looking to spend?

I'm not familiar with Star Citizen, but from a few minutes of poking around, I'd be inclined to point you at an i7-9700K with a good cooler like an NH-U12A or Le Grand Macho, a Z390 motherboard, and overclock the CPU.

(Yes, 16 GB memory is enough for just about any game I've heard about so far.)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, if possible I'm trying to upgrade only the CPU for now. I'd like to keep everything else the same if that's even reasonable?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, you'll have to change the motherboard too, unless the only thing you upgrade is the GPU. I'll ask again, do you have an upgrade budget in mind?

You have an i5-7600K now. Is it overclocked, or stock? What issues are you having that makes you want to upgrade? please be as specific as you can. If gaming, what resolution so you want to be gaming at?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

It is not overclocked, not even familiar with that. As far as a budget I'd say no more than $300, but if necessary it isn't a problem if it goes over. As far as issues go, I just have noticed that everything seems to be taking much longer and my computer acts a little slow; upon start up, opening a program/game, etc. I just bought an SSD though so that will hopefully help as I've been using a HDD. Just want my computer to be able to run modern games at best quality mostly, it doesn't struggle to do that now at the moment for most games just preparing and want an upgrade. If you think I should do that motherboard + CPU together then thats totally fine I'm not against getting a new motherboard, but I think my GPU is fine for now?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The Z170 motherboard you have won't run either AMD or new Intel processors. That's why I said you have to change the motherboard as well as the CPU.

Your issues do sound like hard drive problems, maybe changing to an SSD will be enough for now. Sooner or later you'll want a CPU upgrade, though.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

If Star Citizen is going to be the main purpose behind this build, consider the Ryzen 7 2700X and a B450 motherboard. Reuse the Ram you already have. There is still a market for the old i5-7600K - it is one heck of an overclocker and actually performs rather well in games that use only a few threads. That said Star Citizen will run on the i5-7600K, do not assume that it will not. If you are going to game with other titles saving money now is not the worst thing. The i5-7600K and GTX 1060 with 16GB Ram is still a pretty reasonable 1080p 60fps machine.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

What is the RAM speed?

Location and budget?

PSU?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly the 1700X trade blows with an i5-7600K as gaming concerns.

https://imgur.com/gpCWcMP

Now as the performance concerns for SC, here are some tips you may wanna look at.

STAR CITIZEN ALPHA 3.4: SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

There are no official requirements, but the following recommendations:

CPU with at least 4 cores (quadcore). In general: The more cores and the more up-to-date, the better. Star Citizen is very CPU-intensive. Many reports speak of an improvement in Star Citizen performance when the CPU becomes more up-to-date. Meanwhile, the core usage has been improved significantly by CIG, which also benefits older CPUs.

At least 16 GB of memory. Many performance issues result from lack of memory. 16 GB RAM is highly recommended – also for the Squadron 42 single player campaign; tips for smaller RAM configurations will follow below.

A high-end graphics card now provides significant improvements The graphics card is now being used to full capacity. In many situations of update 3.4 we experience a load on our GTX 1080 Ti of well over 80%. Of course there is still room for optimization by CIG, but the better the graphics card, the higher resolutions and better graphics settings you can use.

Now considering that SC may use those more cores of the 1700X (8C/16T), it may be the better solution than a non hyper threaded 4 core i5-7600K processor.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube