add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Computer died with no warning and won't turn back on.

brent_bousquet

1 month ago

I have an Asrock x99 extreme motherboard, evga gtx750, rosewill 550w 80 plus gold power supply, and an i7 something or other. I built it almost six years ago and havent had an issue since. I was just browsing the web and it died. i checked loose cables and it still didnt come on. Then i did the paperclip test and the power supply fan came on so im not sure if thats the issue. any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Does anything happen when you press the power button? Lights, fan spin, anything?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

nothing seems to have power at all. thats why i thought it was psu related.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I assume the monitor cables are plugged into the GPU, what happens if you try the motherboard display outputs?

"just died" could be anything, but PSU and motherboard are more likely than the other parts, statistically.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

nothing happens its totally dead

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No led's or reaction at all when you flip the PSU power switch (as opposed to the case power?) sounds like a dead PSU most likely.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

As a long shot try unplugging the system from the wall and then press and hold the power button for 4+ seconds to drain all power from the system. Plug the PC back in and try to turn it on like normal.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Try another PSU if you can, either that or your motherboard might've got shocked idk I haven't encountered this problem but this is some basic trouble shooting steps.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well I got a new psu and it's still dead. Any way to test if the motherboard is fried or is the fact that it's still not working the proof.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Did you re-seat your RAM and any peripheral cards?

Have you tried with one RAM stick at a time?

Have you tried without any drives connected?

What is the condition on your motherboard, do you see anything burned, are the capacitors swollen/bulging/leaking?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I pulled everything out of my case and set it up on a box. When I plug the psu into the motherboard I get a hum from the chipset and that's all. I tried jumping the power pins on the front header to make sure it wasn't just a bad switch. Still nothing. I didn't see anything burnt and can't smell anything. Only indication that the motherboard has power is the hum from the chipset.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Do you hear any beeps?

If you take your RAM out and turn the system on does it short beep several times?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No nothing happens at all if I do anything

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If your not getting post codes then your system is dead... if it's under warranty get a new CPU/motherboard.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Just to finish off the thread. After much investigating, the chipset fried which killed the cpu and ran. GPU survived and so did the power supply. Here's what I got coming for an upgrade though. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y2Gvn7

Thinking about maybe water cooling. We will see once I'm done with the custom case what room I have and hot hot I'm running.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube