add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Nullarc77

1 month ago

Alright I am kind of curious how many people on this site buy LEGO. I am somewhat of a collector and recently started getting into creating or recreating battles from Star Wars. I mostly buy LEGO Star Wars and Bionicle. I don't really have an interest in other stuff. I do think the Architecture display pieces are very cool and I may get one of the skylines one day, but for now I stick to Star Wars and Bionicle for display pieces. It wasn't until about a year ago that I started buying LEGO again. I stopped buying when I was about 12. But around the time I turned 16 I got back into it due to randomly stumbling across the youtube channel MandRproductions and seeing the modern sets made me want to get some.

I started with a battle pack. Then got the Republic Fighter tank, which I always wanted the older version, but I could never afford it when I was 6. Bought two older sets that I already had, but they were in pieces in my LEGO bin. Those sets were the 2010 Clone Swamp Speeder and the 2009 Tank Droid. And from there it just snowballed. Late last year the Republic Tank went on sale for $14 and I bought as many as I could(which was 2). So I now have 3. Earlier this year LEGO released an AT-AP and I bought that as soon as I could. I got Yoda's Starfighter, Anakin's Starfighter. Around that time I rebuilt my Geonosis Starfigher which took me a while due to going through my bin getting the right pieces. I got the Clone Scout Walker shortly after it came out this year. And then I just bought the Jedi Starfighter with Hyperdrive ring with some bday money. Got it a week earlier than I was expecting and was able to build it last night(on my bday). It is the second largest set I have ever owned and the most I have spent on a LEGO set. My largest set is my 2011 Republic Frigate which is sadly in pieces(I will rebuild it or buy another). The Frigate would be my most expensive, but when I bought in I think 2012 or 2013 it was on sale, and my parents had a discount at that store, so it ended up being like half priced.

As far as sets I want. I would say an AT-TE, a Slave 1(which I may be get around to buying the 20th anniversary one in the next few months), an ARC 170, an MTT, and a Clone Turbo Tank, and of course the AT-OT with LAAT Dropship because who doesn't want that?. Getting away from Star Wars I do want to finish my Toa Mata collection, and I want to get a few Bohrok. There are a few others but these are just the ones I am going to focus on getting.

My favorite set I own is the Republic Frigate. But if I had to choose an intact set I would say my AT-AP or Jedi Star Fighter with hyperdrive ring.

As far as sets I want LEGO to make. I would say an Accilmator Class Republic Frigate. A 501st or 212th legion battle pack. And a modern Jango Fett's Slave 1. It's been 17 years since the last one and the design of the Slave 1 has drastically improved since then.

What are your favorite sets? Are you more of a collector or do you like to build play with your LEGO?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

yeah i try get some of space themed sets sometimes but i dont really buy anything other than that nowadays when i was like 6 to 9ish every christmas and bday present was a lego set so i have a biggish tub of random peices in my closet

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

Growing up, my father would only ever let me have Technic and similar sets, so that's what my collection primarily consists of today. I have a shelf of organized bins that contain a total of 196,347 pieces and parts collected over about two decades. I frequently find myself building various mechanisms and emulating certain vehicles that are nostalgic for me. I was never particularly fond of LEGO Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and other licensed sets. I'm still not sure as to why this is. I have continued to purchase sets in my adulthood in a fruitless effort to appease my ever-tinkering hands. I would say that I don't collect sets as it were, but mainly collect components to utilize later. My favorite sets include the 10194-1 Emerald Night, the 8386-1 Ferrari F1 Racer in 1:10 scale, the 8653-1 Enzo Ferrari in 1:10 scale, the 8145-1 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano in 1:10 scale, and my three Mindstorms sets from various generations. These are the sets that mean the most to me in my collection (well, they're reduced to pieces, but what can you do?).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Nice. The closest thing I ever got to Technic was the Bionicles, which were originally started as a Technic spinoff. Mindstorms were something I always wanted but could never afford. Technic in general has always been kind of expensive. Wasn't until the past couple of years when my family started being able to afford more wants. Although I didn't really get reinterested in LEGO till last year.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 3 points

lego my eggo

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I used to collect lego, i'd buy lego city and lego creator or just buy lego pieces in bulk and build whatever i want. I remember when i was younger and lego stop motion was a thing i'd try to make my own lego stop motion movies and upload them to Youtube.

I did lego starwars for a while too when i was younger but lego starwars can get expensive and when you grow up not rich dropping anything more $100 on any single toy was a guarantee "no".

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I did lego starwars for a while too when i was younger but lego starwars can get expensive and when you grow up not rich dropping anything more $100 on any single toy was a guarantee "no".

Yeah for me I had to save for a long time just to get a $50 set. I usually didn't sabe. Ended up getting a lot of sets in the $5-30 range. Probably why I like the smaller sets.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

One of the reasons why im a lego city person, they were usually the cheapest ones. Growing up rural in the freakshow that was 2007 and 2008 made one appreciate all the toys they got, thats for sure.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I personally am eyeing that huge 4700-piece Lego Star Destroyer set as a model for my room. I think Lego is a great company and although I don't enjoy playing with the Lego sets, I do enjoy using them as models and display pieces like you said. I haven't bought a new set in quite a while, but I do own a LOT of Star Wars sets going back to the late 00's/2010 era. I had actually gone in with a few friends and we got the massive millenium Falcon model together... man that thing took a while to build.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I personally am eyeing that huge 4700-piece Lego Star Destroyer set as a model for my room.

I used to want that, well the older model, but the current one is only a minor update. But for some reason I have interest in it anymore. Probably due to me favoring Prequel era sets. I do think it's a cool set and would make a great display piece.

I haven't bought a new set in quite a while, but I do own a LOT of Star Wars sets going back to the late 00's/2010 era.

IMO that was the best time frame. The best sets are from 2005-2012. But that's just my Prequel bias, and Revenge of the Sith and the Clone Wars sparked a whole bunch of great sets. I am personally looking forward to a wave of Clone Wars sets due to the new season. I hope we get some good stuff.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I remember the 2013 Republic Gunship coming out and wanting it very badly, but never ended up getting it. I hope LEGO will release a new one for the new Clone Wars lineup.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

They probably will. They have a patern of releasing one every 5ish years, so we are overdo. If only they would make less Sequel sets. They have remade so many of the same sets in the past few years, it's insane. Sure the A-Wing and Y-Wing are cool. But the last Y-Wing hasn't even been discontinued and they just released another one with a slightly different color scheme.

IMO the Golden era for lego sets was 2005-2012. We got so many good sets due to ROTS and the Clone Wars.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Hope so. I'd probably pick it up as a display piece. Interesting that you post this thread, because I've been feeling a lot more nostalgic for Lego the last few months.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Hey if they don't remake it, you can always get one of the older models on Bricklink. You can usually get stuff for a decent price as long as you don't mind it not having minifigs. If you want the figs, prepare to pay more.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm more of a 'stick to the instructions' person, so I have quite a few car models (Ferrari F40 (10248), VW Microbus Camper (10220) & Beetle (10252), Rover Mini Cooper S (10242))

Also have a Ferrari F1 car (8386-1), and some miscellaneous Creator '3-in-1' car sets but I'm planning to buy some more sets (if time and money allows!)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That's awesome! But you know that every LEGO set comes with instructions right?

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I think they just meant they aren't the kind to have a giant bin and build something with it. They stick to what they bought and don't go beyond it's instructions.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, that’s what I meant.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Then got the Republic Fighter tank, which I always wanted the older version, but I could never afford it when I was 6

I had the old one, loser. /s

I haven't bought in a long time, but oddly enough, I'll always have a soft spot for the old 2008 Agents theme. Specifically the Mobile Command Center set. It was a giant semi truck that had the trailer open into a full-blown headquarters. I did an entire series of chores and selling old toys at a garage sale to afford it when I was about 8 years old. That set is very sentimental, and I still have it built and on display.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I forgot about Agents. I had a few of the smaller sets. They were pretty cool. I wish I had kept some of my old sets built(specifically my republic frigate, dang I need to buy or rebuild it).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I also, being 8 at the time, loved the stop-motion movies people made on Youtube for Agents. People like Masonbiter and Agentindy417 specifically. Looking back they're extremely cringe and have absolutely horrible voice acting, but to an 8-year-old, it doesn't matter lol.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

LEGO Bionicle was my favourite, I have sooo many sets from 2004/5??? onwards, and although they stopped the theme, it'll always be in my heart lol

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I am hoping they remake the Toa Mata for Bionicle's 20th anniversay. Also there are a lot of projects on LEGO Ideas for Bionicle. I recommend checking it out and supporting them.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I don't use Lego anymore, not because it's childlike but because they are expensive and I have other things I like to do better. If I had no school or job and a bunch of money I might get into it.

Also hype for the new Lego Star Wars. It will certainly make a fine addition to my collection.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yeah it can get expensive. Part of the reason I stopped buying for a few years.

As far as the new game goes. I plan on only playing the OT and Prequels. That way I finish 66% of the game. Which is the perfect percentage.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Plenty of sets below $20 anyway.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Over 430 sets here.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yikes. That's a lot. I honestly have no clue about my total number as most of them I got when I was between 5-12yo and pretty much all of them are in pieces. If I had to guess I would say somewhere in the 75-100 area. But nowhere near your number.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Oh man, I like LEGO, but the wife loves LEGO. Back in 1999 when the first series of Star Wars LEGO set came out I bought them all, I was ~18 and it's only the thing I've been waiting my entire life for.

And it's pretty interesting comparing a 1999 X-wing to the current 2019 X-wings. I still need to reassemble most of those 1999 sets (slave 1, darth vader's tie figher, b-wing, y-wing, and an AT-ST)

We have quite a few lego sets in the living room, so many that we're really running out of shelf space. And I still need to build Voltron and the Tantive IV. The wife and I finished the 7,500 piece Millennium Falcon and I gotta say, that might have been too much LEGO. But we have a regular size Millennium Falcon next to it and every time I see them I think to myself, "Here we see the Millennium Falcon in its natural habitat with its young."

I mean we have so many of those giant sets that they don't seem that giant and I can only appreciate it when other people seem them and almost fall over. It's like I live in a LEGO wonderland, but for me it's just a house it's been so long.

I wouldn't mind that Death Star II set from way back when, but maybe someday they'll release it. I grew up with original recipe Star Wars, so those are the sets that I prefer. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Man how long did that 7500 piece falcon take? I've been putting it off for so long because I'm not as fast as a builder as when I was younger lol

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Like 18 months. Because being mid 30's and procrastinating. And the wife was doing odd numbered bags and I was doing even. So progress was really dependent on who was waiting on who. So probably 11-13 of those months were my fault. Also the set was large enough to require building permits in my municipality. All that paperwork, jesus.

Actual building time? Probably 25-35 hours.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The wife and I finished the 7,500 piece Millennium Falcon and I gotta say, that might have been too much LEGO. But we have a regular size Millennium Falcon next to it and every time I see them I think to myself, "Here we see the Millennium Falcon in its natural habitat with its young."

I think National Geographic recently did a documentary about this.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The section with the young Millennium Falcon's first jump to hyperspace was especially touching, because one in ten juvenile Falcon's fly through a star or bounce to close to a supernova on their first hyperspace jump...

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I don't create scenes, but I do buy Star war lego's and build them.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Gonna have to keep track of this topic, I used to love Lego when I was a kid (waaaaaaay back in the 70's) but I grew up and started buying more expensive toys.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I love legos.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube