add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Decent PCIe Capture Card for under $100?

Retro_R

3 months ago

Recently, I've been playing tetris on NES a lot, and finally decided to buy a physical copy (previously using an emulated copy). I used an EasyCAP I got from Goodwill to display the video out, but after installing it and launching VLC/OBS, I found the picture to be very grainy and slow. This probably won't be that much of an issue, however, I'm thinking of streaming my tetris sessions, and I don't think the graininess will be good for an audience. I'm looking at some pcie capture cards, but all of them are over $100, with the cheapest (modern) one I could find being about $130. I don't really want to deal with the clunk of external options. I don't really care about most of the stuff in the capture card, just if it can put out a good image, and the price (but maybe a hdmi jack would be nice). Does anyone here know any decent pcie capture cards under $100? Or maybe stick with EasyCAP?

I'm not looking to purchase right now, but want to know my options now if/when the time comes for a cheap decent pcie capture card.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

From my look around amazon it appears to me that a decent capture card will be around double your budget. Perhaps you might be able to get away with a TV capture card but those tend to be grainy on the image and it seems that is what your EasyCAP was designed for.

Just keep in mind the absolute cheap end of specific PC hardware tends to offer a poor value. Using video cards for example look at the cost to performance between a RX 550 vs a RX 570. The 570 will have more than triple the performance of the 550 for ~50% more cost over the 550 thus being FAR better cost per FPS. Quality of all PC hardware typically follows this trend where absolute bottom barrel is bad, go a step higher in the still lower end and you start getting more value.

On the same note you don't need the absolute top end either.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube