add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1440p Gaming for $1200

Tfarcraw_III
  • 7 months ago

I've got an old PC that I'd like to steal parts from for a new build. I want to keep the case, PSU, and HDDs. My main uses are streaming TV, schoolwork, and gaming but I'd like to get more into video editing. I've got a budget of around $1200 (US) -- buying between now and late December. I'm also looking to use this PC for VR gaming.

What I need:

• CPU/cooler

• GPU

• RAM

• Motherboard

• 1440p Monitor

If there's anything else I should look into, like a new SSD (mine is 3+ years old) see if it can be fit into the budget.

If it helps I already have:

• Case

• 850W PSU

• Boot SSD and 2 HDDs

• OS and peripherals

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

What are the parts you already have?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I've got a case and a 850W PSU. I have an SSD for the OS and 4TB mass storage on 2 HDDs. I just need the motherboard with all its main components and a monitor. I have the other peripherals.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Does this look OK?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $327.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Amazon
Memory *Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $67.98 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Toshiba 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Toshiba 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card $413.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Phantom 530 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $0.00
Case Fan Cooler Master SickleFlow (Red) 69.69 CFM 120 mm Fan Purchased For $0.00
Case Fan Cooler Master SickleFlow (Red) 69.69 CFM 120 mm Fan Purchased For $0.00
Monitor VIOTEK GN27D 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor $249.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1174.83
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-15 05:20 EDT-0400
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, thank you. I had been playing around with a few part lists recently and always got stuck choosing between 16GB RAM and a 3700X (would go with a 3600 otherwise). How worth it would it be to sacrifice a little bit of CPU for 32GB? I like to run servers and do a decent amount of photo editing, so more RAM is well used.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dc6qk6

Keep an eye out for deals on these instead of buying them on the spot and feel free to swap out for parts that are on sale.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Few things

• Why a Micro-ATX board?

• 3600MHz is only a recommendation, it isn’t really needed.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Budget reasons, but I guess he can swap over to something like a MSI X470 Gaming Pro. I prioritized on his CPU and GPU because Ryzen 7 for video editing and a 2070 Super to run that 1440p monitor at decent frame rates. The monitor is one of the cheaper 1440p 144Hz panels.
The 3600MHz RAM not needed, but it's nice to take advantage of the Infinity Fabric if possible. Also I specifically told him to watch out for sales because there are plenty of 3600MHz kits that go on sale for cheap and more cheap kits that can be oc'd to 3600MHz.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

What are your thoughts on the 2070 vs the RX 5700 XT? Is that extra $100 worth it?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally haven't been keeping up with GPUs because it's one of the two things I didn't upgrade a few days ago. But I've seen a lot of people buying the 5700XT so there must be something about it. The part I suggested for you is also the 2070 Super, not the regular 2070.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, I don't know how I didn't catch that. I'm surprised it fit in the budget.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

What is the PSU, the G2 below?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, it is.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube