add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Strix 1080 Ti fans ramping up and down constantly when idleing

Lobsterareawesome

1 month ago

Hi all So two days ago the fans of my strix 1080 ti started doing this weird thing when idling: The fans would ramp up and down from 0 to around 1000 rpm evey second. The rpm in MSI afterburner is just pure zig zag. It only really does it when the card idles. When I start to play videogames the fans ramp up just fine and do their thing. I dunno if the 0db fan mode is broken but it is hella annoying when I try to do work for university and i constantly have this "swoosh" noise from the fans ramping up. I was "kinda" able to fix it with a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner. But now everytime I start up the pc i have to go into afterburner and click The "auto" button for the fan curve eventhough the custom fan curve is enabled and afterburner is set to start with windows. (Even with the custom fan curve enabled the fans stay at 900 rpm if i dont select the auto function to run at the same time). That worked fine for two days but now even with afterburner after starting up the pc I get the fans ramping up and down. Then I have to turn the custom fan curve on and off a few times to get it to work properly. Temps are fine as always. Idle temps are 54°C with the 0DB mode and under load it never really goes beyond 71°C.

It started on wednesday. Could the windows update from the day before have messed something up? I read online that some people had the same issue with strix cards but I didn't really find a fix. Especially since the card now ran problem free for almost 2 years. Performance is still as always but it is just a minor annoyance. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Try removing the heatsink, replace the TIM and give it a good cleaning.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

eh.. i got it to work more or less with msi afterburner

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube