add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Got Windows 10 update, got frozen, now power supply fan won't work and PC won't run

Ben-Ji-O

2 months ago

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. It happened yesterday (10/10/19) when I started my computer (first PC build, components list is below, built it 6 months ago) it went through some recent Windows 10 upgrades and then started normally as always and then after a few minutes, it froze. So I flip the switch on the power supply to turn it off; I flip it back on and the RGBs on the motherboard come on. Okay...

So then I go to turn it on, everything comes on. Motherboard, CPU cooler, GPU, all the fans, all the RGBs, all running normally...except for the PSU - I usually hear the fan running underneath but it stays quiet. So I could assume it's a bad power supply but how can that be when everything else is still getting power from it?! Lol

But, yeah, needless to say, it's not sending a signal. Now I Googled on my phone for solutions and tried taking the RAM out, carefully cleaning them and then reinstalling them but that didn't work; I tried unhooking and rehooking the 24-pin cable and 4-pin cable to the mobo to see if that would do anything, which it didn't.

Is there anyone that might be able to help? Without my build, it kind of feels like I've lost a limb :-(

Thank you

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ben-Ji-O/builds/

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Your power supply won’t run the fan unless it needs to, which is pretty rarely. When you say you don’t get any display, does it even post? Are there any error indications on the motherboard?

As you said, it’s extremely unlikely it’s the power supply given it’s actually outputting power.

You might have borked your copy of Windows by cutting power during an update, but you should still be able to get into the bios.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, one detail I left out was that there's this dual seven-segment display on the motherboard which tells the temperature or other codes that indicate what's wrong and since this incident it's been randomly going thru several different digits. Im sorry, I'm no expert and this is my very first build, but I imagine that cant be good.

I always hear something running like a fan when it's on so I assumed it was the power supply fan. Whatever it is, I dont hear it anymore, even though every other fan seems to be spinning just fine.

Nothing at all shows up on my monitor. Not the start-up screen, nothing.

I'm wondering, and this just occurred to me, I had an unlicensed version of Windows 10. I wonder if something in the update didn't want to cooperate with that or whatever. Like I said, I'm still fairly a newb in this world.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

This really seems weird. I also suggest you make a post on r/buildapc on reddit. Usually a lot of people there too.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Right? Lol. Yeah, I've seen a lot of experts there, I'll have to see if they got any tips.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Those codes shown on your motherboard are probably key. Try to identify some and look them up in the manual.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

So I turned her back on to take your advice and check on that display, and it went through several codes (probably doing that to search for the error) but would stop for a few seconds at 15, which is "pre-memory CPU initialization is started", then it ran thru more and then would stop for another few seconds at 7B, which is "Reserved for AMI use", then eventually it just stopped dead right at 55, "Memory initialization error occurs." It stops there and wont go further. So I assume evidently it's the RAM?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like it. Reseat it. Potentially try other RAM slots.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Reseated and reinstalled and still no luck. Now the display on the mobo is reading this in a repeating cycle:

33: CPU PEI initialization 74: PCH DXE initialization DE: Reserved AD: Issue Ready to Boot event for OS Boot. DF: Reserved.

Might you be familiar with any of that? I presumed the OS might have had something to do with it seeing as this happened since installing the recent W10 update, but that's just my amateur opinion.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube