add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
nostalgia2302

2 months ago

So last night I did something I'm feeling really bad about and I feel like karma is going to come back to kick be in the nutsack.

I went grocery shopping and on the way back I stopped at a McDonald's. I was about to get out when a woman stepped in front of my door with her palm facing out, asking for money. I signaled her "no" and she stood for a whole 30 seconds looking at me while I did things in my cellphone.

Once she was gone I was about to get out of the car, until I saw in the mirror that she was standing in front of the McDonald's doors. I just felt really uncomfortable, waited for a few minutes to see if she went away, and then decided to drive to the nearest A&W for a burger.

TL,DR: I feel like karma is going to hit me back because I didn't help a beggar woman.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 10 points

What you did was not wrong. Here is the sad truth, they sit in front of places like McDonalds a lot of times, and will try to get you to think they are going to get food from the location they are standing in front of. But sadly, they will get the money and go to the nearest liquor store or sadly, the nearest dealer.

Next time you run into something like this, instead of offering money, offer to get them a cheap burger or something, you will learn that most of them will pass up on the offer because that is not why they need the money.

So now that half the people on PCPP now think i am a butthole. Here is what i have did to help.

Several times i have offered to buy people like this food. Only about 1 out of 10 times have these people taken the offer (not because they are proud, because if they was proud, they would not be asking for money)

I spent time working in a soup kitchen down here where i live as well. That is honestly a very fulfilling experience. Fully thing is most the people i see beg for money are never at the soup kitchen.

I have been almost homeless myself, That just might be a story for a another time, and took me a long time to get back to where i was living comfortably. Others have helped me when was done as well, so i try to give back, but i am also very careful on how i do. I have even been helped out from someone here on pcpp. During the time i was trying to rebuild my life.

But i never once begged for money when i was down.

Karma can be a teacher, karma can also suck. But i think the fact that you are expressing that you feel bad about it really says a lot about your character.

• 2 months ago
  • 7 points

So now that half the people on PCPP now think i am a butthole.

I think you will be surprised on this.

• 2 months ago
  • 6 points

Literally no one thinks this. Your values on helping homeless are spot-on.

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

We think you will be surprised on this.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

You mean you think it might be 75%?

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

Actually, buddy, I believe he was referring to the fact that there is always an odd amount of people on PCPP, so you can never have 50% concurrence on anything.

I know, I was surprised too.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

lol I think the upvotes on your post speak for themselves!

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I have been accused of karma farming in the past, even know i have never once asked for anyone to give me upload. Maybe i am just nice.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't understand the concept of Karma Farming. Other than blatantly asking for upvotes, how else can it work?

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

What you did was not wrong. Here is the sad truth, they sit in front of places like McDonalds a lot of times, and will try to get you to think they are going to get food from the location they are standing in front of. But sadly, they will get the money and go to the nearest liquor store or sadly, the nearest dealer.

Next time you run into something like this, instead of offering money, offer to get them a cheap burger or something, you will learn that most of them will pass up on the offer because that is not why they need the money.

Not to make the OP feel like a jerk but what he did was still bad in a sense because he should have offered them food. It's the thought that counts, even if he didn't think that they would use it to buy drugs/achohol.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

I do this all the time, cause I never carry cash on me lol

If you really want to give them something, offer to buy them food and if your gesture of kindness is met with anger or the like then they just want your money to buy anything other than food.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

I thought this was going to be another karma farming attempt...haven't had one of those in a while.

Anyways, I agree with tomtomj2, if they are truly low on cash or homeless, they will accept even the smallest gestures.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

I don't think karma works like that, you didn't set out to hurt someone.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

If anything, that lady did you a favor by guilt-tripping you into leaving Mcdonalds. /s

What you did isn't bad, you're not under any obligation to help people. A lot of times people will panhandle or beg to get drug or liquor money. Not always the case, but it's sadly more common than a homeless person who needs a small helping for his next meal.

My city has limited numbers of homeless, but still I had a situation like this, and I went into a nearby Albertsons and bought the man a deli ham sandwich and a coke. He was very thankful when I gave it to him, almost pushed to tears and stood up to shake my hand. Just shows they're not all dishonest drunks, and some are really down on their luck and need a hand.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Humanity has made me cynical. Many "beggars" that you see on the streets aren't actually strapped for cash and many have homes, maybe families. Most legitimately homeless people don't bother with asking people for money and those that do don't use that money to get themselves to a better place in life.

My advice: If you can give anything, give them food, water, kind words... If they refuse or seem disgruntled by your offer, chances are that they're not really in need of basic necessities. Don't feel guilty; many will prey on that emotion.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

OK, so I would say you acted out of instinct rather than being a bad person. If you had something to worry about on that score it wouldn't be bugging you now. We are human beings we all make mistakes and we all do good and bad things, so long as you try to do more good than bad you should be fine.

What I suggest is doing two good things, find two people you can help. Not only will it make you feel better but it will make two other people feel better.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

You're not beholden to anyone and everyone who comes up to you. I can understand why you might feel badly, but as many have said, there are lots of folks trying to prey on your empathy in this manner.

You decide when you personally do something for others. Not someone waiting outside your door.

I once a long time ago gave $20 to someone who was in a parking lot who had a sad story and approached my gf and I. I later learned this is an extremely common con. I've also offered food like granola bars to people who were 'begging' who rejected it; they weren't actually in need of food.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I live in San Antonio which has an extremely high homeless population. And what my family had to learn when we moved here is that you can't help everyone. And if they get mad at you for not helping, they likely aren't after food.

But also you are under no obligation to help anyone really. They don't deserve your generosity if you do give. They really don't.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

That's considered bad karma? Oh dear.

If I'm ever judged for avoiding beggars, whether that be in a court of law or in the afterlife or in front of an angry mob, all I gotta say is: I'm gonna power walk away from anyone who lunges towards me when I'm in public trying to get from point A to point B and wearing earphones. Doesn't matter if they're asking me for money or not.

I don't have a moral to my story like some other posts here, but I have thrown a few dollars or ten in the general direction of people's PayPals when they're in a rough spot (and I know of them enough to know remotely who they are), so like… maybe that says something about me? I dunno. I guess basically I'm the last person to have political/social views that anyone should go hungry or without shelter, but I also have social anxiety.

Anyway, I wouldn't say you did the wrong thing at all. You didn't go out of your way to hurt anyone, and also going right up to someone's car seems a bit much?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube