add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU Cooler and PWM Hub Issue

Rotav

2 months ago

Hey everyone. I'm currently building my first PC and I'm a little confused with plugging in fans. I have a MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 motherboard and a Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower case.

The case comes with a PWM hub for the case fans, which requires to be connected to the CPU fan connector. However, the motherboard only comes with a single CPU fan connector, so I don't know where I should plug in my CPU cooler. Is there a way that I can resolve this problem? Links to the manuals are below:

Motherboard: http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B98v1.1.pdf Case: http://www.phanteks.com/assets/manuals/PH-ES614P_Western.pdf

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The PWM hub does NOT need to be connected to the CPU Fan header, it can plug into any of the various other 4 Pin PWM fan headers on that board.

All a fan hub will do is have a primary fan which is the one that the motherboard will detect. It will then send a PWM signal based on that fan. All the other fan's connected to the fan hub are secondary fan's and will just ramp up and down according to the signal being sent to the primary fan. This is described in the manual:

1 motherboard connector can only read 1 RPM signal. Therefore, the motherboard will only read the RPM signal from 1 device connected to Fan 1. The RPM form all other devices will be regulated according to FAN 1.

You can simply hook your CPU cooler up to your CPU fan header. Then connect any case fan's into the Fan hub and said fan hub to any 4 Pin PWM fan header of which the board has plenty. You can if you want conn

I recommend that the fan's you connect to the fan hub be identical so they share the same characteristics. The reason for this is because as mentioned above, the primary fan will be the one off which the PWM signal is based. By having identical fans connected to the fan hub, it means they will all ramp up and down with a very similar profile.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube