add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

650watts enough for this build?

connor333

2 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YKCkr6

Long story short I need to RMA my GPU, and a person in EVGA forums said I should have a larger power supply in my build since this one "barely," covers it.

I believe the estimation is 464watts, but I also have my 8700k overclocked to 4.7.

Thoughts?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

650W PSU is fine, and it can support overclocking your GPU and GPU as well (which will draw additional wattage above the PCPP estimate).

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

650W is plenty

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

It's plenty for your build as the others have mentioned, but I wouldn't go smaller since there is "room" to upgrade in the future with one that size.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback. I'll stick with my 650w and return the one that's coming.

I got a little paranoid since this is the second GPU I had to RMA. I guess I just had bad luck with buying a used GPU that was used for mining, and then the refurbished one they replaced it with simply didn't hold up...

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Never buy refurbished parts.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Especially PSUs and HDDs.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

even though EVGA is a great company and has fantastic customer service in comparison with basically every other PC company I know of; the B-stock section of parts they have have failed on me EVERY SINGLE TIME I have bought them. Refurbished/B-stock is not a good idea in my opinion. used is fine generally speaking, but not refurb. I have bought 7 different B-stock products direct from EVGA. the latest was a GTX 980 Ti Kingpin, which died in 4 days. the product I got before that was a GTX 1080 SC2, which promptly failed on the day I got it.
TL;DR, B-stock/refurb is a bad in my experience. Zerk2012 is 100% right.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm with you 100%. Right now my mindset is this: I have over 400 days left on warranty. I'll enjoy my 1080ti until the latest refurb they send me dies when warranty is up, and then buy a NEW gpu then.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

That person is a idiot. 650W is more than plenty.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

It covers it perfectly.

For real the overall power consumption of that setup should be lower than 450 Watts or what PCPP mentioned on his estimates.

Here is one example with an i9-9900K@5.1GHz and a GTX 1080Ti.

https://tpucdn.com/review/intel-core-i9-9900k/images/power-gaming.png

Of course power consumption will vary from build to build especially with components from different manufacturers (like board, Ram) and taking to account the quality of the CPU silicon chip in question, but still a 550 Watt PSU would be plenty even for such a (*)[build configuration].

(*) https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-9900k/4.html

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube