add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to make a game? I've got superb design concept

HardWareLover

2 months ago

Okay maybe superb is too strong of a word but I really love it and I think about it a lot.

So the player is a human that uses robots to fight with people (other players), and with NPC (robots, monsters, gangs,whatever). And its basically normal RPG but in world of robots and with many other features that make it all very different.

The player uses robots like vehicles. Whenever he leveled up or acquired some needed items or has money he can: - upgrade stats - upgrade skills - pick new skills - buy/upgrade/change/fix robot parts

so for example you could change a weapon from gun to sword, or you could add better battery, or better CPU, etc. This concept has limitless possibilities because you can pretty much include in robots whatever you want.

So now my question is... How to create this game? In what programming language should I code it?

If the game was playable on computers with windows that would be enough for me. Other things I need is 3D graphics and multiplayer if possible.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points
  1. Pick modern engine that is fast, easy,functional and has many tutorials. I suggest unity. Watch this. Don need to work yet just watch and listen.
  2. Make simple RPG text game in cmd in that language. It will teach u basic workflow and syntax. Good tut.
  3. Now try to make a game in Unity. This is a good tutorial.
  4. Tutorials often result in errors because API changes etc.. So whenever you have error in console, you google it and seek solution. Any error you will have, other people had 100000 times and posted fix online.

PS dont do MMO as beginner

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

This is a really awesome post, esp love tip #4 (and "5" lol). My only critique is that first video might not be the best thing to watch first. It's really old for Unity, and it's kind of drab tbh. This playlist from Brackeys is more modern, still slightly old, but it's also produced better.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

If you’ve never programmed at all before, you could try making a basic game or two on Scratch so you sort of get the basics of programming, such as loops, ifs, and variables. Then, you should move onto learning a language; I’d assume other recommendations here would be good for what you want to do.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You can download Unity Personal to make to game and then ethier use the Unity Asset Store to download premade assets and/or make your own with Inkscape for textures, Blender for 3D models, and Visual Studio (comes with Unity) for C# and Javascript scripts.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Unity does not support JavaScript any longer just FYI.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

its possible. I would recommend C++ as a primary coding language. if you want 3D stuff done "easily" then Unity is a good starter tool. if you have used Unity before, then you could also try out Unreal Engine. making a 3D game will take quite a long time if you have not had experience in the area before and even longer if you do not know coding/scripting languages. as I recall, Unreal and Unity require C sharp for the scripting (I think Javascript is fine too, not sure). Having made only a handful of beginner games in Unity, I can't really say a lot on the matter. If you are really serious about the idea, Udemy has some awesome courses regarding coding, 3D stuff, etc that you should definitely check out. best of luck!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Unreal uses Blueprints which is a visual scripting language, or C++.

Unity uses C#. JavaScript is no longer supported (and was only poorly supported for years). Unity has lots of visual scripting tools available in their asset store, but they cost money.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

ah, thanks, yeah that makes sense.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

One does not simply...

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Game development is an arduous process that takes a lot of time. Especially if you are creating as an indie, and you have to wear many hats. Even when working on a team, you need a fundamental understanding of how other components work. Expect to spend a great deal of time learning before you are actually building your game.

I would recommend getting into some tutorials. YouTube is chock full of tutorials for everything you can imagine. Do some basic 3D modeling tutorials, even if you don't want to get deep into 3D modeling yourself, so that you understand what you are working with. Do the same with animating 3D characters. Do the same with creating textures, and then texturing 3D models. If you have no programming experience, do some programming tutorials using a C-based language. Only after all that, do tutorials for gamedev.

The engine you choose does not matter all that much, despite what people think: the quality of your game comes from the quality of the work put into the art, game mechanics, and code. The engine is just a workspace to bring it to life. Unreal and Unity are the big names, and either will do nicely. Personally I've used both but I've spent much more time in Unity. If you're into open source, Godot is the big name open source game engine and has come a long ways.

If you do go Unity, I can recommend off the top of my head Brackeys and quill18creates on YouTube for their great tutorials.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I was looking at some kickstarter games on Steam, if you go to their forums you can see its a project to make a game. One would think it much easier than 20yrs ago but still not easy to do. Lot of games trying to be built there, then again it must be easier given the large number of indie games.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube