add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why Bother With Controlling Fans?

wcurtin1962

2 months ago

I recently added an Artic cooler to my video card and cleaned and replaced the thermal paste on the CPU. When I installed the cooler on my GPU I plugged the fans directly into my power supply. It's been running full tilt for two months now. No problems and I checked for dust build up on the card and it is clean. When I build my next PC I will not bother using the motherboard fan headers unless I have to. A lot of people seem to have problems running multiple fans. Why not just run them directly off the power supply?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Most of the time, running fans at max speed gets ridiculously noisy.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I suppose, I'm generally wearing headphones. Around 2002 to 2004 I built a computer with a Tornado CPU cooling fan. On start up it sounded like a jet turbine ramping up. At full speed it sounded like a hair dryer. It kept the CPU at room temperature. I had it hooked up to stereo system so the noise was no problem.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Even with headphones though, most people are annoyed by the fans.

If that isn’t a problem for you, then I think you’ll probably be fine.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Because you have zero control over the fans, using the headers should be a painless experience, and some fans are crazy loud.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I can run all my fans full speed in my new PC, but they are all low speed fans and it is a quiet case. If I were to upgrade to double the speed fans I know they would be way louder and need more control. I also prefer to not have the noise and power use if I don't need to. But if your setup works well for you that is what counts mostl

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube