add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
ZFGeek
  • 5 months ago

I could do something about the political ******** going on in the U.S. Nothing is as it should be, and it seems a lot of the political people now adays are using the constitutional rights against us more and more, plain out lie to people, and only care in the end about what benefits them. Being 16, though, I can't do much yet.

Now, a lot of you might say, "Just go vote in two years" or, "run for office in a political position later". Well, voting only goes so far. Doesn't usually effect too many other people. Now, I still will vote, don't get me wrong here, I am a strong believer that voting does matter. I just don't think it'd be enough for what I would want to do. As for political offices, I just don't even want to go there. I don't want to be involved in the **** show. I want to fix it. And soon. Not sure how much longer this government politics situation will last before it crashes.

What do I want to fix, you might ask? Stuff like term limits for congressmen. Running for Congress was meant to be public service, not a career. Problem is Congressmen turn it into a career, and push their agendas for 20 or 30 years. Then, on top of that, they benefit themselves by giving themselves salary increases. Some might say "there is an Amendment for that!". Here's the catch: it claims salary raises don't go into effect until after congressional elections. Well, the congress usually get voted back in, so they benefit from it in the end. Just not good in general to have the same people running for so long.

Seems getting involved in political positions is the way to go, but there has to be a better way. I also thought of somehow educating the people of the U.S., as they are doing the voting(not accusing any of you guys of being uneducated, a majority of you actually do know what you are talking about). I really don't have much of a clue.

Rant over, that was long...

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 5 points

American Revolution Pt. 2, Electric Boogaloo.

The memes flow pretty easy too, so that's always a bonus.

• 5 months ago
  • 5 points

You're not alone in feeling the things you're feeling! It's very frustrating. We're in a very anxious time, with the fortitude of our laws and institutions being tested on a regular basis.

As for political offices, I just don't even want to go there. I don't want to be involved in the **** show.

But then

I want to fix it.

There's only really two ways to "fix" it, and the one without violence is getting involved in that political **** show! At your age you can't yet vote, but you CAN volunteer. A whole lot of the political machinations of our country runs on volunteer work, especially so at the local level. Research your local and state elected officials. If someone really strikes you as not serving the interests of their constituents, it's time to support their opposition!

I agree with you that term limits would be a good addition. The raising of congressional salaries is really a non-issue; they haven't had a raise for a decade, and their raises are typically pretty small when they did have them before that. Salaries really are the least of concerns when it comes to Congressional corruption, and in fact raising them regularly can help to combat one of the few things left that unites voters of all types: lobbying. Term limits won't do much good without somehow combating lobbying.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

I completely agree with you, Gork.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

“somehow combating lobbying“

We can all agree, and that’s all well and good, but I’ve never managed to even come close to thinking up a practical solution.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I have some ideas:

Step 0: ban the practice of paying people to hold your spot in line at Congress. Nobody should be able to buy a seat.

Step 1: Outlaw Super PACs. These are complete ********.

Step 2: Mandate all candidates maintain a standardized and publicly-available database (with a standardized button/link for access) on their personal sites that catalogs all campaign contributions.

Step 3: Staple Congressional salaries to a small annual pay increase that adjusts for inflation. It's expensive to live here.

Step 4: Mandate the release of tax returns for all candidates (this would not be controversial to any American if it didn't get tied up in partisan politics via Trump). This isn't a private sector job; it's public service. If you cannot bear to reveal your finances to those you are supposed to be serving, you probably shouldn't be in the role.

edit I thought about Step 2 a lot while writing this. Arguably, third party sites already do this very well such as OpenSecrets.org. The problem is exposure. Public donor rolls need to be forwarded by these campaigns. The FEC also maintains info that is public, but their interface and presentation is garbage. The way I wrote step 2 makes it explicit that the campaign themselves would need to maintain a database system; that's not necessarily best, hence why I am writing this edit lol. Making the info maintained by other professionals available front and center on their campaign websites would actually be a better solution.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess your right... I do see that the salary increase is not too much of an issue, just the first thing that came to mind when I was thinking of things that would stop if term limits went into effect.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Everyone feels that way, but 1 man's view of fixing it is another man's view of making things worse. Democracy means that the power is in the people, not in the individual.

"Democracy is the power of equal votes for unequal minds." - Charles I

Is that bad? Well I suppose so but

"Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried." - Winston Churchhill

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

At 16, how has the current political climate impacted you, in either positive or negative ways?

If you kept away from social media or the news (because some can be biased) would you know about the political climate?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

It hasn't impacted me yet, but it will in a few years. It's not always about now, we need to think about the future as well.

And about how I know about the political climate, I have parents that keep me posted on what is happening in our government. They don't tell me EVERYTHING, but enough to keep me informed. Also, I do see stuff on Facebook, and I do my own research too. I know news can and is biased. That is why I know my country's laws and look into news, not just from one source.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you see as the impacts to you in a few years?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

At this point I have no idea, maybe our economy destroyed and our country at war? Okay, just a little extreme there. I am just saying I don't want to be stuck with the bad decisions that people before me made.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Good luck with that.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Good luck trying to fix the hell on earth that is California’s stupid government run by people that don’t know what the heck they are doing, it’s probably not going to end well

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Sometimes I wonder if California should just float off into the Pacific, but then I remember there are some actually logical people that live there...

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe their problem to be policies which are pushing out the middle class leaving the extremes on both sides; that's a very not ideal situation.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I don’t understand how people live there. Or why they live there.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You also need to understand that the media has gone into overdrive. Most of them side with the liberals so they are 24/7 carping about everything. US elects Obama twice, and what is first thing you hear after Trump gets in: Everyone is suddenly racist! Its just media looking for attention and really unfair to the people, even liberals. There is nothing much different going on today than 4 or 6 years ago but you hear about it every second, you can't watch much national news without drowning in it. But they are getting ratings from it in some cases, so they keep screaming wolf. Things seem bad only because they are now broadcasting it non stop, you sure don't hear them talk about lowest unemployment EVER for minorities do you.... Far as corruption, its out there sure. Both parties do it, but when someone is in a while people keep voting for them. If you term limit you might lose someone good, if there actually is one.

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

That is why term limits on Congress is needed. It is that limit on power that would help. Now, will it solve the problem completely? No, people are part of that too, but it is a lot harder to change people.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube