add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Self Hosted site Safe?

ZFGeek

2 months ago

If I were to turn an old tower into a small personal web server for my own experience, And I was wondering if it would be safe to route it through my home router? Am I opening up my home network to hacker attacks by doing so? I tried researching, but it isn't something out there in detail, only how to set up a server like that.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

Well, you don't want to do this because you don't know enough about security methinks. And you probably don't want your site going down whenever your internet connection or power goes out either.

You can develop your site locally and run it on a localhost if you want. I wouldn't turn that personal webserver public though. It's a lot of responsibility, and you may not like the consequences if it turns out you're not as clever or thorough as you want to believe.

And pretty basic webhosting is dirt cheap, so I would vote to just find a cheap hosting plan. https://www.ionos.com/hosting/web-hosting#packages $4 a month (for example) and a free domain for the first year.

And trust me, as an experienced developer who spent several years of his youth avoiding paying for webspace, once I got over that hurdle it wasn't a problem. There's some pretty good benefits in paying for webspace. And unless your dream is managing webservers and security, you don't get too many bonus points for jumping through literally every hoop in the book when it comes to web development. There's way too much stuff to learn and you can't master everything easily AND quickly. So it really depends on what experience you're trying gain I suppose.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

It wouldn't be a serious website in any way, and I have created sites on hosts before. I want the experience of setting up a server. I do see what you mean about the security though. I may try to set it up as localhost, so I can only access it from home. Actually, something like that might be useful for my family...

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't really do it because home servers will have vulnerabilities, they wont be secure and may get sniffed around by hackers and setting yourself up to be a sitting duck.

a rented web server, hackers will only get your web server contents. Hackers getting onto your home network - who knows what they might get access to

I had a home server running and I decided to just not do it any more. I used to use it for home pc backup, it was more cost effective for me to just use dropbox.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Your router should have a firewall and when you open a port all of the connections to your server will only go to your server, if it’s set up right. Your server should also have a firewall setup and ready to go. If you want more security get a SSL certificate which will get you HTTPS and FTPS and used a mix password system (using different passwords for different web server software, such as MYSQL etc). If you using Linux as your host OS, you have to setup the security your self. Windows Server has security already built in, they just need to be turn on.

My server has been running for a month, nothing happened yet. But just have good security just in case.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube