add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

in your opinion, which jobs make the happiest people?

nostalgia2302

3 months ago

According to me, it is mobile works that don't require you to be tied to a specific desk/city/place of the world. Like accounting or software/web/game developer. These jobs make people happy because of the flexibility involved.

And then there's that job of mattress tester where all you have to do is sleep...and sleep...and sleep. Seems pretty comfy.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 4 points

The ones they enjoy doing but joy doesn't always pay the bills.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

From working in an accounting office, I can say that once you've got a clientele, you can't move. You need to buy official letterhead with your address, and you need to be able to meet with clients throughout the work day in a professional environment. There are also different tax laws in different provinces that require studying. The people who work there are really happy, though I don't think that's because they are accountants.

From my perspective, trades make the happiest people. They are fulfilled people, who spend their lives doing a task to excellency, and getting paid really well for it. Plumbers often seem really happy just to be plumbing! Despite the comparative lack of flexibility in work, I think tradespeople are the happiest.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know if you work for a big accounting firm or just a small business. But as far as I know, theoretically all that work can be done from home. Let's say you're Freelance accountant and bookkeeper and you have you own clients. You're Canadian, and you have a secondary home in Japan. Nothing prevents you from travelling to Japan for half the year, and do your work remotely while talking with your clients with an international cellphone plan or Skype. Most files you would need, they can provide over e-mail.

This is what I mean by flexibility. Usually, jobs that require a computer can be done from anywhere in the world, the bus, the metro, another city 50 miles away, in your own home...

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah I see. You're right, you definitely don't need to be at the office to account. Someone has to, though if you work rather than own a firm I guess that's not your problem.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

From my perspective, trades make the happiest people. They are fulfilled people, who spend their lives doing a task to excellency, and getting paid really well for it. Plumbers often seem really happy just to be plumbing! Despite the comparative lack of flexibility in work, I think tradespeople are the happiest.

It depends on the persons situation, the plumbers that are the most satisfied with their jobs are older and usually have families, a long consistent work history and depending which company you work for a decent pay. Plumbers have alot of flexibility because every city needs plumbers especially now since few young people get into trades, its also relatively easy to get a job if you're experienced. Alot of younger plumbers, tend to not like their jobs for a variety of reasons. When it comes to other trades its a hit and miss, the bigger trades like plumbing tend to produce the happiest people but some other ones like masonry workers,painters and commercial roofers not as much.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Definitely professional athletes, getting paid millions to play sports that most people do just for fun. Also professional gamers after that but they make less but it's hard to say which one has more fun.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Maybe a nitrous oxide tester? Seriously, I think it matters that a person really enjoys what they do.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Passion. Whether that passion is sports, computers, clothes, or garbage. If you're passionate about what you do, then you'll be the happiest. I get that bills have to paid and all that, but the happiest people are those who are working their passions.

For me, I love working with kids. I'm currently a youth pastor, am heavily involved with teenage recovery groups, and may soon start working with a local soccer league as a paid coach on the side. I've worked jobs where I've made more money, more "opportunity" for advancement, and whatever else. I've haven't been happier doing what I'm doing right now though.

I know it may not last forever, but I'm enjoying it while I can. No sense in worrying about when it will end. :-)

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

game developer

Despite the burgeoning indie scene, 99% of game dev jobs are VERY specifically tied to individual cities. It is very common for people to move as needed to get jobs in that industry.

It shouldn't be that way, but it is. That being said, I agree that the freedom of remote work is a huge perk. The companies that are entirely remote and offer good benefits with ample vacation tend to have very loyal and happy employees, from what I've seen. There's no good reason anymore to tie software developers to an office except for traditional thinking.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably some kind of scientist or a computer technician.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

It has to be a mix of something that pays the bills, but also brings you joy. Doesn't necessarily mean everyone else will like/enjoy your job, but if you do, that's probably going to make you happiest.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube