add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I'm Screwed

tragiktimes101
  • 5 months ago

Well...I have a job in STL. I put 3 weeks notice in at my current employer. They then laid me as well as 10 other people off. I was the only one without severance since I had notice in (they stated they would never lay anyone off without 2 weeks notice - nope, got back from lunch, was told I was laid off). So, they ****** me out of 1000+. Funny part, that was going to be used for the first month rent on my new apt. Now that I can't make that I have to forgo the $400 I had placed down on it. The kicker? I already told my current landlord I'd be out within 30 days. So, he rented it to someone else.

Long story short, the world has been hitting me hard and now I'm probably about to be homeless. Hoooray.

Sorry for the downer post. Probably should just keep it to myself.

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 6 points

If your company has an HR department or you know any attorneys, take it up with them. I'm not familiar enough with employment laws, but something about that seems very fishy. If there's anywhere in writing where they said they won't fire anyone who's put in 2 weeks notice, this can definitely help build a case.

Either way, that's rough buddy. Best of luck.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

I was the only one without severance since I had notice in

Double check your employee manual or other written materials. If severance is spelled out that it will be given upon layoff, they don't have an excuse and you are entitled severance.

They can lay you off or terminate you whenever as long as they don't have an illegal reason as an at-will employee, but going against their statements and rules is still a breach of contract.

It's also worth checking with your local labour board as laws can vary even from municipality to municipality.

As you were laid off you should also be eligible for unemployment benefits, if that helps.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, severance isn't spelled out. But, they offered it to all but me under the pretense that I had given notice. Personally, I think they should be able to terminate employment at will at any time. The issue arises with the promise they made to all employees during a meeting that there would be lay offs without 2 weeks notice. A promise they broke.

I'm leaning towards a judgement coming out in my favor but that isn't 100% and takes time and money, two things I'm very short on at the moment. I will be filing suit in snall claims court, it just might have to be a couple months down the road.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Talk to the labour board first. At the very least it would help you get up to speed on where you stand, and the upside of them taking up the case is pretty significant.

Time and money

Which sucks. You'll have to check the statute of limitations for your jurisdiction if you plan on filing later.

I hope things go better for you.

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

where you live in STL?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Central West End.

So long as I figure out this madness, that is.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice. I'm near chesterfield

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a bummer.

Even with you giving them 2 weeks notice, they still ended your employment before that, just like the others. You were still employed and they basically looked for a way out of paying out severance. Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Even with you giving them 2 weeks notice, they still ended your employment before that, just like the others.

Yeah, but logic and HR are like water and oil.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, when $$ is priority, logic and ethics are far below.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Isn't your new company paying you decently well? Ask for $1000 in relocation assistance. This is VERY standard and a small amount to ask for. They will help you out. I'm sure you can come up with $1000 for rent. You'll be working a high paying job, as you said previously, so figuring out one month of rent should be a trivial thing to do.

EDIT: Also, how did you plan for severance you didn't know you were going to get to be used for rent?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

If I were you I'd be asking about this on workplace.stackexchange instead.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube