add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Did I pick the wrong major?

Jrpg_Guy
  • 6 months ago

So I went to school for business management. I graduated late but I at least graduated. I went into the major because I wanted to earn a lot of money and wanted to manage something. I grew up with games like roller coaster tycoon and locomotion and managing businesses appealed to me.

But now I'm working a terrible low paying job after graduating a year ago. Living situation isn't the best either. I'm applying to other places with little luck. I'm starting to think that I should've tried something in the medical field or tech related. The only thing keeping me from those fields were the difficulty.

On top of that all you need to start a business is a permit and maybe a business account. I want to obtain both but they cost money. What are your thoughts? I know it's too late but should I have used that college money and gone into business?

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

Hard to say really. Everyone's journey is a bit different. I take it you're relatively young; sometimes a career takes time. Could you have gotten a different degree, and maybe landed a better first job out of college? Possibly. But there is no guarantee that if you had done say, computer science, that you wouldn't have come out of college with a crappy first job. Part of it is a diceroll. Part of it is also where you live and what's available around you. When I graduated I was still working at a movie theatre... and kept on for a few years despite my bachelors. Eventually got into software QA and started making okay money. My gf got her Masters in the Marketing field at this time while we were still living in Florida. She already had tons of work experience in the field, but jobs were absolute garbage out there. She was working at a running store, eventually became the store manager. Then she became a Guru for Brooks Running. Definitely not jobs she was expecting. We eventually moved out of FL to get access to a better job market. Now she makes more than I do, as a Digital Marketing Manager. We're doing pretty well now, trying to pay off our student loans aggressively.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

I think you did to be honest. From what I have seen if you don't have a plan for what to do with a business degree you probably aren't going to do well after graduating. Its not a degree like Doctor of Medicine where you can get a great paying job right off the bat. I would say its like a gender studies degree, its only as good as you make it to be. Its not a degree when you can just go to class and get the degree and expect a good job

this thread on reddit sums up a lot of my thoughts https://www.reddit.com/r/college/comments/6bkshg/why_is_business_considered_a_weakuseless_major/

Also while you can make a lot money with it as you found out you can make little. Just like a lawyer, ever seen better call saul?

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Assuming you live in the US(I don't know how it works in other countries). Have you considered the military? With a Bachelors(which is what I am guessing you have) you would qualify to be an Officer. The base pay for an O1(2nd Lieutenant in the Marine Corps, Army or Air Force. An Ensign in the Navy or Coast Guard) is about $40k a year(which depending on your current par may not be a lot but you said "terrible low paying" so I am going to assume it's at least on pay if not better). But you also get housing, or housing allowance, basic allowance for subsistence, and full health care coverage. Plus I am pretty sure you can use the tuition benefits to help pay off college debt. But if not you can still use it further your education. But once the benefits are counted in you would need to make around $70k in the civilian field to equal it. And after 2 years you would automatically be promoted to O2 and your base pay would increase to about $50k a year. Of course it's not for everybody. But if you are looking for a new job with benefits and decent pay I recommend looking into the Navy or Air Force. They offer some pretty good tech related jobs for officers. They also have some good medical programs if you want to go that route.

But again it's not for every body. But I do highly recommend looking into it. Well that's all the advice I have. Best of luck to you.

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

Looks like Nullarc77 beat me to it!

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

There's really no use for what if's at this point, man. No one can tell if what you chose to do back then was a mistake. But what you can do is to do the best with the cards you have been dealt, put more thought in your decisions moving forward. Know The Story of the Chinese Farmer? That helped me change my perspective on past events.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Its rare for someone to graduate and have a job that is pulling in the upper 5 figures range.

Think of it from the employer's perspective. Why would they pay someone who has little to no experience just because they have a degree?

However, congrats on complete college.

One thing that college doesn't teach you is that companies and business are constantly struggling to make $$ - they will cut corners, and do whatever it takes to make investors happy.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Its rare for someone to graduate and have a job that is pulling in the upper 5 figures range.

This is completely dependent on major and and how hard you network senior year. Most (over 50%) of my friends in college graduated and started work at a job that paid $60k+.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless if you are seriously considering going back to college for another major (which sounds unlikely) you shouldn't think about it too much, why dwell on a mistake you can't correct? You could consider becoming a self-taught programmer but...I don't know if that's the best idea or not.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I wanted to earn a lot of money

Generally not going to happen anytime soon with a degree in management. Sorry. Don't get me wrong, you will likely earn a perfectly respectable salary, but it often won't even hit that 6 digit mark until very late in your career, if you can hit upper or upper middle management. For early entry level positions, did you have any interest in a field like HR or purchasing? If you can get SHRM cert or something you would be set and have a better shot at getting into a management role later if you pick up other aspects of the business/industry without slogging through minimum wage hourly positions first.

medical field or tech related

These are expansive and you can easily get in with your degree. Every company with at least a handful of employees needs people handling various administration tasks and HR. It might not be full of glamour like being the medical researcher who discovers a groundbreaking cure or a high profile tech CEO like Lisa Su, but it is a necessary function and pays the bills.

CompTIA A+ cert would let you get into the most basic of IT, and your degree might help get a foot in the door.

they cost money

Yup, and usually that means getting a solid business plan together and finding someone to fund it. Small business bank loan, crowdfunding, rich investors, etc. Being an entrepreneur is difficult and not for everyone, but if you have a business plan you are passionate for in a market that you think it can fit in, and are prepared to spend a minimum of 100 hours a week to make it work, it is a possibility.

I know it's too late but should I have done this or that or the other thing ;~;

What's done is done. You can make it work, you just might have to try to refocus on what you are looking for and be ready to face a ton of rejection in your job search (there ALWAYS is).

You can do it!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

“CompTIA A+ cert“

Ayyy, I’m working on this right now! If you’ve done it, do you have any useful tips?

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

Not yet, but there are a TON of free practice tests and other study materials out there.

Standard standardized test taking tips apply for before the test as well- go to bed early, don't just cram, eat/drink/use the bathroom beforehand, etc.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Didn’t realize there were practice tests. I think I’ll take a couple so I know what to pay the most attention to in class.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I graduated late but I at least graduated. I went into the major because I wanted to earn a lot of money and wanted to manage something.

Thats good you graduated.

So I went to school for business management

Got ambition, that's always good, but if you're looking for high paying C.E.O jobs or something similar for a large company where you can do alot of management its going to require alot of sacrificing on your part, alot of luck, definitely need to be charismatic, or be family with the CEO. It also usually takes a long time, i'd say your field is more of a gamble than anything because you're either gonna make it big or not, but that is the world of business.

If i were you i'd get a second job, even if it only is minimum wage, sock it away into a savings account, save some money and quit your job and use that money to find you a new job that will make you more fulfilled.

But now I'm working a terrible low paying job after graduating a year ago. Living situation isn't the best either. I'm applying to other places with little luck.

Welcome to the world of post college! Almost everyone i met that graduated college is struggling to find full time/ high paying work in an increasingly competitive market. I hope the best for your future and i hope you dont get discouraged by temporary obstacles.

I'm starting to think that I should've tried something in the medical field or tech related. The only thing keeping me from those fields were the difficulty.

That last sentence hurt man, not a good mentality to have " i cant do x because its too difficult".

On top of that all you need to start a business is a permit and maybe a business account. I want to obtain both but they cost money. What are your thoughts? I know it's too late but should I have used that college money and gone into business?

Do some research into what kind of business tax laws your state has, then go out and start a business, it can be as simple as mowing peoples lawns to something insane like drop shipping. Out in these parts business laws are not as strict on noobies like me with small businesses as it would be in one of the larger states which made it easier for me and my friend to sell the occasional PC on sites like ebay, craigslist etc. In the mean time before you start a business work a second job, like i stated with your current one.

Just my twocents and i will admit that i haven't started college yet.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Don’t despair. You chose a good field. The problem is that a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, is, at least in the US, pretty useless by itself. Once you get your MBA, job opportunities open a lot.

A BBA is pretty much generic education. This is a field where you have to specialize in order to succeed. There’s finance, accounting, marketing, economics, public relations, et . I have yet to see for the life of me a bachelor in BA with a decent paying job...most of them hold a MBA.

Now, you don’t need a MBA to start a business. There are many people out there without college education or without the right knowledge in a specific field and they end creating unbelievable products.

If you’re keen on entering and advancing in the industry, get a MBA. That would be my advice. You can also succeed with a BBA but you might not encounter many job opportunities, as you have already seen.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

It only takes one job to come back with a yes to make it feel worth it. First, if I were in your shoes, I would try to find a job that might pay for some future education so it is off your plate. That way you do not have to worry about taking on a loan or any additional long-term expense.

Second, explore other options that are still attainable with your existing degree if more education is not an option. I did that about 3 years ago. I graduated with an accounting degree, went into public accounting and hated it. Long hours, high intensity, it just wasn't worth what money they paid. I looked elsewhere and went into a completely different industry. Best decision I ever made.

Third, get with a recruiter. I would recommend reaching out to a Randstad or Robert Half recruiter. You can usually find a local one thru linked in who will be more than willing to help you find a job. They're free for you, only paid by the employer who hires you based on your first year's salary. You can do oyur own research on recruiters and things to be weary of, but if you stick with these bigger one's I've mentioned above, you will have a good experience. They will find jobs hiring that aren't posted on your traditional job boards so it gives a lot more options. I've used both now and they've both been great. Give it a go to see what happens and let us know how it goes! : )

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube