add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

M.2 NVMe disks disappeared after CPU/BIOS update

erlendkrool

6 months ago

Hello everyone :)

I recently built a PC using the ROG Strix B450 F Gaming MOBO along with an Ryzen 5 2600 CPU. Then I added two M.2 SSD later on, one of em being the Kingston A1000 960GB, and my it worked like a charm <3

But lately, after I switched my CPU from Ryzen 5 2600 to Ryzen 7 2700X, which my MOBO supports, and after flashing my BIOS, the M.2 SSDs are no longer visible anywhere in my BIOS nor at any OS running over USB, like Linux for example. Its just like the M.2/NVMe disks disappeared forever. I still have my M.2 Disks connected to the Mobo, but I can't see them or detect them in the BIOS disk list. In the BIOS it says: No disks are connected. And I can't find any settings related to the SATA/PCIe mode on the M.2 slots.

I tried resetting the BIOS settings, I tried absolutely everything :/ Everything worked fine before I switched the CPU and flashed the BIOS. I was so mad yesterday, so I just bought a new 1TB Samsung SSD and installed this instead via SATA port 0. The PC is working fine now. But the M.2 slots, or the disks, are either corrupted or defect, in my opinion. Or the slots are defect on the MOBO. What could have caused this? Does anyone know if there's any setting in the BIOS or anything I could try? Or resetting the CMOS, would this help?

Here are my parts I use today:

MOBO: ROG Strix B450 F Gaming CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X (supported on the mobo) M.2 SSD: Kingston A1000 960GB M.2 SSD (does not work any longer / Connected directly on the MOBO) M.2SSD: Samsung PM981 SSD 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD (does not work any longer / Connected directly on the MOBO) 2.5" SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD (works like a charm using SATA Port 0)

The PC worked fine using the M.2 disks mentioned over "before" I upgraded the CPU. Afterwards they just disappeared. Now, the PC works fine using the older type of Samsung 2.5" SSD Disk via SATA Port 0.

Thank You in advance for any advice or help I can get.

**EDIT: The M.2 NVMe disks were the problem! They are both defect. This means that when I upgraded the CPU and flashed the BIOS, something MUST have happened which damaged both the NVMe disks. I sent both disks back to the store I bought them from, and I got refunded for both the disks, they could not get them to work in their IT service senters.

So the big question is still unanswered though, was it the CPU switch or the BIOS flash which destroyed the NVMe disks? My ASUS ROG STRIX B450 F GAMING motherboard is still working like a charm and I have not found any issues with the motherboard at all, and I'm happy for that. But it still bothers me that the NVMe disks could take damage by just doing either a BIOS flash or switching the CPU. I'm gonna continue using the older 2.5" SSDs instead of M.2 NVMe disks in the future, because of this incident which took me many hours to figure out. It was a pain in the ***, that's for sure!

**EDIT2: My old M2 NVMe disks were both fully encrypted, I used full disk encryption (AES-512) on both, but there were only one bootloader for the system disk. Maybe encrypted disks are more fragile regarding BIOS flash or switching the CPU, Idk.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

they will not register as drives as the recognition is for SATA based ports, not M.2 slots - You can disable the CSM option which is ideal for the M.2.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I already tried that, didn't help :( As mentioned over, the PC worked along with the M.2 Disks fine before I upgraded the CPU/flashed the BIOS. I wonder what happened :/ Thanks for replying though.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I saw I understand they worked by default. Generally, the CSM policy will automatically prioritize strings for compatible devices initially but after the boot loader is created and depending on firmware strings for the drives and updates applied to the AEGSA and storage ROM changes can occur.

I would recommend you verify that you do in fact have CSM manually set to disabled. Additionally, check in the boot order if you have windows boot manager but not an actual volume.

To circle back when doing UEFI updates that contain AGESA updates especially if there are multiple jumps it is also best to create an image back up as the initialization policies can changes for storage. This is also why specific drivers were recommended for the chipset prior to the latest AGESA update being applied.

If you are not successful in disabling CSM you may want to consider a repair to the boot loader via booting into an installer and then run the repair option on the disk volume. If the volumes are being mapped but the boot loaders are not linking correctly this will resolve that issue.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I was able to disable CSM manually, without any help. The bootloader has disappeared, and windows repair USB stick did not find any disks, even if they're connected to the mobo. Thanks again for trying to help, but I gave up trying to locate the problem lol. I just bought a new SSD 2.5" disk and connected this to my SATA port. Computer working like a charm now. I am gonna keep the disks and test them in the future on a newer computer, hopefully M.2 disks (mainly the NVMe) will have more support and maybe work better with motherboards. I will buy a new PC when PCIe 4 is ready ;=) Thanks to AMD, PCIe 4 Has Finally Arrived ^

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

That is very odd that both would "fail". In regards to NVMe support, they are both fully supported. You may want to consider parted magic and seeing if you can run a secure erase if the drives are detected. From there also double check on the vendor's sites for any firmware releases. Alternatively, you can get yourself a low-cost M.2 USB 3 enclosure and turn them into high sped external SSDs.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Both failed or "disappeared" from the MOBO/Bios after I switched the CPU and flashed the Bios. One of the NVMe disks had Windows installed, the other one was just a media storage drive containing media only. But yes, both of these M.2 NVMe disks disappeared afterwards, and I have not been able to get them working on the MOBO after several attempts including flashing back the mobo, trying different bios settings, trying to locate the disks in the bios boot list, trying with linux usb stick to locate the disks without any luck, even tried windows usb stick to locate the disks, no help. I also tried a USB adapter made for M.2 disks, but nothing happened. So I think the disks are corrupted or defect :( I don't have a second PC to test the disks with, so I must wait.

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I already checked those, they do not appear in the list, and they're still connected to the mobo.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube