add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

B450 / X470 BIOS Update for Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 Catch-22?

Jeffx111

7 months ago

I am currently gaming on an aging laptop and my plan is to buy a new Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 CPU in July and build my first PC. Not caring about PCIe 4.0, I have been looking at B450 and X470 boards, as they are supposed to work fine with the new CPUs. All they need is a BIOS update, right?

Wait, what? How is that supposed to happen? I have flipped through a few BIOS update videos and all of them have a CPU with cooler and OS already installed. This seems like a catch-22 in which I cannot install the chip in the board until I update the BIOS but cannot update the bios without a chip installed.

Is there a workaround to this or am I stuck shelling out cash for PCIe 4.0 slots I don't need?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

If the motherboard supports it the scenarios are noted below

I speak on the behalf of ASUS based motherboards 1. the motherboard has USB BIOS FLASHBACK ( a feature that allows the motherboards UEFI to be updated without a CPU, Memory or Graphics Card installed ). You only need PSU power, USB flash drive. You download the file, rename it and place it on the flash drive and then connect it to a dedicated port for flashing purposes and complete the update 2. Motherboards UEFI are continually updated during production. Depending on the board you purchase and the time it is produced it may already have a compatible / based supported version of the UEFI to allow you to post / power on and then complete an update to latest UEFI release 3. You have an old UEFI that does not allow the board to post. It also does not have USB BIOS FLASHBACK. You can send it in for service to have it updated or if you have access to an older supported CPU would need to use it complete the update to the latest UEFI release 4.If the motherboard features a swappable/replaceable ROM chip for the UEFI you can contact service and if you can get a update ROM chip flashed with the latest UEFI. You would need to remove the ROM chip and then installed the new ROM ( updated ) ROM chip in it's place.

Hope this helps.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Some of the boards can be flashed without a CPU.

There is also supposed to be a new boot kit option from AMD but that hasn't been mentioned since the reveal.

And a new sticker program to show 3000 series ready.

As well as newer revisions of the boards factory ready for the new CPU/APU using 400 series chipset.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

If all else fails, get a $60-ish Ryzen 1200 CPU, do the update, then sell it. You'll lose money but it's a 100% guaranteed way forward.

It will probably take a little time for motherboards in the retail channels to get updated with the final 3xxx BIOS update. If you need to be one of the first out of the box with a 3000 series CPU, I'd pick a motherboard that can be flashed without the CPU.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The 200GE itself needs a BIOS update to run on the 1st gen mobos (X370/B350) and the earlier releases of the 2nd gen mobos (X470/B450). Yes, it's quite likely that the 200GE will work for most mobos currently in the retail channel, but the 1200 being a 1st gen Ryzen is a sure thing.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought AMD was shipping piledriver-based ALUs (so presumably they work)? Or were there too many reports of incompatibilities (really, I doubt testing A8 ALUs was a priority for B450 motherboard test engineers)?

Anybody know if Microcenter will help update your bios if you buy your CPU and/or motherboard from them? With already great prices, it might be a safe way to combine a new 3000 and B450.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

They only do that for B350/X370 which are compatible with the Bristol Ridge APU.

They don't supply a boot kit for 400 series products which are only across the board compatible with the 2200G/2400G and low power versions of those.

The older APU support is spotty on newer BIOS after exploit fixes have been enabled taking up room, and older BIOS lack support for the newer Athlon.

Anybody know if Microcenter will help update your bios if you buy your CPU and/or motherboard from them? With already great prices, it might be a safe way to combine a new 3000 and B450.

They charge for it at most locations which can cost quite a bit if You don't buy both there.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube