add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E VS. Aorus Gigabyte Ultra

Dustox12

7 months ago

Ugh. Can't decide. Has anyone used any of these or prefer one over the other? I've been trying to decide but It's difficult.

The processor for my build will be the I7- 9700k.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Theoretically the Aorus Gigabyte Ultra should be the better board as overclocking concerns, but other than that both boards are fine for an 8 core processor.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I am biased but the -E is a very solid board. The quality of the UEFI BIOS is extremely important when considering a board as it in coordination with the hardware design is what dictates the overall experience when it comes to overclocking, interoperability and usability.

I would also note the Ultra is more in line to be compared to the MAXIMUS XI HERO.

With this noted the 9700K has minimal current draw due to being a 8 thread CPU. In this respect the OC experience between a board like our STRIX Z390-E and PRIME Z390-A will be essentially partiy - You will be able to maximize the OC potential whatever that might be. Keep in mind that every CPU is different but for most 9700K you can expect between 4.7 to 5.1GHz all cores.

One benefit of these boards is our auto tuning technology and rich OC options. When installing the CPU it will automatically provide you values for voltage, multipliers, cache ratios and cache voltages making the overclocking process very simple and clear. This is if you pursue it manually.

If you go the route of automatic you can execute this via Aisuite III in the OS via our Ai Overclocking - The reuslts will be specific to your CPU and cooler and will be saved directly to the UEFI BIOS. Even if you uninstall the software the Overclock is maintain as it is adjusts the clocks speeds in real-time while stress testing the CPU to ensure stability.

The main benefits of moving over to a higher end board like the HERO as opposed to the STRIX would be

Audio - The HERO features the same audo suite and based codec 1220 ( supreme FX ) but also includes an ESS SABRE DAC More RGB connectivity - 4 headers for more connections to RGB accessories the STRIX has 2 Advanced watercooling support - The HERO has specialized headers for custom water cooling for temperature and flow monitoring Larger heatsinks - The HERO has much larger heatsinks with a heatpipe. The STRIX-E has solid heatsink design and an included fan and you do not need the HERO to acheice 5GHz. The benefit is lower operating temps. Think of like a Noctua 12US vs a 14US. The are both great but the 14US will offer lower temps at the same clocks. Richer software suite - The core gaming software and RGB software and overclocking software is all the same AURA, AiSuite ( including OC and Fan Controls ), Game First packet priority software, Audio software ( SupremeFX ), RamCache ( lets you apply memory to your storage to improve read performance )

The HERO offers all of this along with RamDisk - let's you create a drive from your memory Included full 1 year license of Kaspersky AV

Last but not least they both offer support for

NODE header - A special expansion header for some chassis and accessories on the market allowing for monitoring and control Fan Extension Card - A special header than lets you add a card to easily enhance and extend the number of headers for number of fans to be powered and controled by the motherboard ( adds an additioanl 3 fan headers )

There are a few other specific items that have some value but hopefully this helps add some clarity in the differences and the feature set and what you can feel confident you get out of the OC experience between these boards.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for providing all of that information, that was really helpful for me. I have also been looking into a cheaper motherboard, in order to save some cash. The Gigabyte Z390 Aorus pro wifi is 40 dollars cheaper, and It's something that I'm looking into.

At the end of the day, I want my motherboard to have wifi and sound built in, and be quality. I am a complete beginner, so I am not so sure how valuable overclocking features are to me, but I guess it would be nice to have it there in case I ever wanted to do it?

Anyway, thanks for your helpful response.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Gigabyte Ultra IMO, Gigabyte have done a very nice job with their z390 series this time around.

It really is on par with more expensive ASUS boards in the z390 range, but priced more closely to the Strix.

The Gigbyte Aorus ultra is pretty feature rich also and has pretty of comparable features of the more expensive ASUS boards, nice RGB implementation, Wi-Fi, reasonable sound implementation, etc.

Asus though does have a more slick BIOS (though I may be Bias as all 4 of my current rigs use and ASUS board), but gigabyte is still easy to get around once you have learned it, given it sounds like you have gone through neither, will effectively be a blank slate in that regards.

With all that said, the two boards will have no issue with the 9700k. If both come with the features you after, cannot go wrong with either. The Gigabyte would be my personal pick given it really is more comparable to higher end ASUS boards yet priced more inline with the Strix.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube