add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

B450/X470 Zen 2 BIOS Updates?

ColdConduct

7 months ago

Do we have any confirmation from any manufacturers on when they'll be dropping these updates? I'm specifically interested in MSI. On a related note, any confirmed release dates for B550 and X570? However it's unlikely I'll be changing my current motherboard (MSI B450M Mortar) because the only other chips I have my eyes on are the 3600X and 3700X.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

"Soon"

AMD had to rewrite the baseline coding to exclude Gen 4.0 on 300/400 series motherboards so there is going to be a delay on BIOS version updates.

B550 is shelved until AMD figures out if they even want to run a budget motherboard line giving the company changing focus away from the budget mindset.

And it is at least in the meantime being replaced with a revised 400 series lineup.

X570 will be launching 7/7 same as the 3000 series CPU.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting, you're not the first person I've heard mention they may scrap B550 altogether. Would be a shame if they do, no matter how understandable. Many B450 boards were certainly viable options for pretty much anything not named the 2700X. Some were junk, but some I'd say were fine to be considered mid-range.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Would be a shame if they do, no matter how understandable.

Well there are two problems and one cannot be fixed even if they planned on it.

1. Gen 4.0 support requires expensive components and build quality of the motherboard which doesn't work well for a cheap to build and buy budget focused product.

2. AMD is moving away from producing budget components and they don't want to be associated with budget products.

It just makes more sense for motherboard manufacturers to keep buying the cheaper ASMEDIA B450 chipsets from AMD and release new revisions of their motherboards with up to date BIOS versions.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, disregard this thread. Quick search shows MSI already has it available in their latest beta version. Seems other manufacturers have already started rolling them out as well. Good stuff.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The BETA BIOS versions that are out now are not going to be fully compatible with the CPU and are not stable yet.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Right, I'm just happy to see them being worked on though. It's likely more a 'right around the corner' type of release rather than a 'sometime in the future' speculation. Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I can confirm ASUS has also released applicable UEFI released for applicable models.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Good news for my brother's system that's running a TUF B450M. Thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube