add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Motherboard to GPU compatibility

Jetpack01
  • 9 months ago

I have the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 and I was wondering how I could tell which GPU’s are compatible with it? Also, any recommendations for mid to high end GPUs that are <$500 while still getting the most bang for my buck. Thanks

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

1660 Ti with 2200G for just under $500 (then you can save for a 3600X later):

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $83.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.99 @ Amazon
Memory GeIL - EVO SPEAR 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card $269.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $498.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-13 23:21 EDT-0400

Only a normal 1660, but better balance with a Ryzen 5 1600:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $109.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.99 @ Amazon
Memory GeIL - EVO SPEAR 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB XC GAMING Video Card $209.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $464.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-13 23:24 EDT-0400
  • 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the list, I will definitely look into it, but at that point shouldn’t I just get a whole new pc considering I have to replace almost all of my parts?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

how I could tell which GPU’s are compatible with it?

From the PCie expansion slots.

This board has multiple PCie slots.

But you will use the first one (blue colored). That's a PCIe 2.0 x16 GPU expansion slot.

And basically, what's your AMD processor?

All recent GPUs are using the PCIe version 3.0 bus, but are backwards compatible with a PCIe 2.0 or even PCIe 1.0 bus.

So any GPU that conforms wiht the above specs, is suited with that board.

And that means almost every GPU out there.

However i wouldn't go too high with the GPU selection as performance concerns, as that's a board that supports the older and slower AMD processors.

Getting a very fast GPU will slow down that unit, as it will be bottlenecked from the processor.

And basically, what AMD processor you are using?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the in depth response. I’m running a AMD FX-8350 4.0Ghz. I’m trying to upgrade my current set up(which I’ve been using for a couple of years), and I was thinking GPU would be the first place to start, but if I’m just going to get bottlenecked should just spend the money on a new CPU? Or should I just get a new motherboard?

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

What's your max. available money to spend and what GPU you are using right now?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m trying to stay below 350$ and I’m using a Radeon RX 480 4GB. I was thinking that a GTX 1660 Ti would be a good choice.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a fair upgrade, but keep i mind if you change your CPU to a modern one (and that means unfortunately a new board and ram modules) your RIG with the GTX 1660Ti will run even faster.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Ensure you also have an update to UEFI / BIOS many graphics cards were shifting from legacy VIOS to newer native UEFI vbios support. Some boards do not work correctly if the BIOS is out of date. As noted by some others. Be sensible about your upgrade as you want to compliment the GPU to align with the performance your CPU allows for.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube