add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help picking out the right motherboard for me.

Dustox12

7 months ago

My build is looking like this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

I initially had a 2000 dollar budget.

The current motherboard I have chosen is: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MWL48d/asus-rog-strix-z390-e-gaming-atx-lga1151-motherboard-rog-strix-z390-e-gaming

Basically, I want a motherboard that has good cooling/ performance, and mainly be a good fit for the build. I also want one that has a wifi chip in there, and this one does. I also want one with an audio card. (I think this one has one)

I am a beginner builder, this is my first build, so I am not really interested in overclocking, but it could be something that I can look into further down the road.

Is this a good motherboard for the money, or can I get something better/ cheaper? Or should I go with this one? I want one that will last me years and won't let me down.

Thanks guys. I'm having a really hard time picking a motherboard.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

This is a great board and will offer a stable and realible platform to build on. It also is a solid overclocker.

I can tell you that moving up is really only for those looking for specific benefits that align with their build. For most entry users my recommendation would be the Z390-A or the STRIX Z390-E

I recently answered another user providing some insight into how the -E compares to a higher end board ( just for reference ).

The main benefits of moving over to a higher end board like the HERO as opposed to the STRIX would be

Audio - The HERO features the same audio suite codec 1220 ( supreme FX ) but also includes an ESS SABRE DAC. This provides improvements to music, movies/video & games it is clearer, sharper and provides better tonality. The AMP also extends/enhances volume range. That being noted the audio on the -E is already good. This is for those that just want better.

More RGB connectivity - 4 headers for more connections to RGB accessories the STRIX has 2. Additionally, it has more onboard lighting zones.

Advanced watercooling support - The HERO has specialized headers for custom water cooling for temperature and flow monitoring

Larger heatsinks - The HERO has much larger heatsinks with a heat pipe. The STRIX-E has solid 2 stage heatsink design and also includes a VRM fan for active cooling. You do not need the HERO to acheive 5GHz. The benefit is lower operating temps. Think of like a Noctua 12US vs a 14US. The are both great but the 14US will offer lower temps at the same clocks.

The VRM is upgraded compared to the STRIX-E but again both are great and will offer you more than enough for overclocking ( both the CPU and RAM side ).

Richer software suite - The core gaming software and RGB software and overclocking software is all the same AURA, AiSuite ( including OC and Fan Controls ), Game First packet priority software, Audio software ( SupremeFX ), RamCache ( lets you apply memory to your storage to improve read performance )

The HERO offers all of this along with RamDisk - let's you create a drive from your memory. This is maintained between reboots and is great for installing your web browser or small applications. you can also junction it to game folders. Also included is a full 1 year license of Kaspersky AV

Last but not least they both offer support for

NODE header - A special expansion header for some chassis and accessories on the market allowing for monitoring and control Fan Extension Card - A special header than lets you add a card to easily enhance and extend the number of headers for number of fans to be powered and controled by the motherboard ( adds an additioanl 3 fan headers )

There are a few other specific items that have some value but hopefully, this helps add some clarity in the differences and the feature set and what you can feel confident you get out of the OC experience between these boards.

With this noted as you see the HERO can offer more but everything that almost all builders would want exists on the STRIX Z390-E. Going down you begin to remove some items that would be more commonly appreciated in mid range builds.

Hope this helps, if you have other questions let me know.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

There isn't any part list...O.o

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FkwGyX

Is that not showing up?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

This yes, but not the *previous one. :-P

(*) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

It looks good.

If you select a 650 Watt Corsair PSU you could save some bucks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube