add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wireless Networking

sirsalade

7 months ago

Hey, I am pretty new and I am trying to figure out what everything does before I try and build my new PC. I have been looking at MOBOs and a friend told me I should buy one with "Wireless Networking", but I would like to know why and the differences in having it or not in my MOBO.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

If you use Wifi you need one, if you use a wire, looks kinda like a phone cable, then you dont need it

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Right, and you can look at the mobo wifi and see how fast it is compared to wifi add in card/usb/etc. My PCs at home are all wired, but maybe you take it gaming or live in a place you don't want to bother wiring it, so wifi may be important to you and its worth looking at what mobo offer. You might find one that fits your needs, or you might want another for other reasons without wifi and then use add in wifi with it. Wifi is just like a phone or tablet uses to connect to local internet router with no wire (not via a cell phone system).

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Many of our newer mid range ASUS board will come with WiFi onboard and actually offer very good range and performance.

These will generally be 2x2 802.11ac. - Keep in mind to ideally get the best performance you want a router that offers at least 2x2 antenna the more the better especially if you are at longer distances. Some of the newest motherboards come with wireless adapters built in that support MU-MIMO as well as BeamForming and 160MHz operation all which allow for better WiFi experience but are dependent on the router supporting those functions so keep that in mind.

If you want to pick up a board that does not have WiFi you can easily add it with a great USB adapter like - USB-AC53 Nano

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube