add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Motherboard with support for 256GB of RAM

TensorSlow

7 months ago

Hi everyone,

I am looking for an HEDT motherboard that has 8 DIMM slots and can support 256GB of RAM. So far, I haven't been able to find anything that supports a reasonable amount of RAM.

I am not nearly as concerned about price for this as I am about speed and density. Any suggestions on what I should be looking at? I really want 256GB and as fast as it can possibly go.

A second desireable attribute is for multiple PCIe slots to add GPU cards. 4 full length slots would probably be OK, but it would be nice to have 6 or even 8, and I'd pay more to get it.

Any recommendations on a model I should investigate?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

For what CPU?

I'm unfamiliar with the Intel HEDT world. For AMD, Threadripper technically supports 256GB, but you need the 32GB unregistered DIMM's and they are rare and expensive. If you really need that amount of memory, you might do better to look at EPYC and RDIMM's.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

We have validated X99 for 256GB and are working on it for newer platforms but this is going to be limited generally too specialized DIMMS so you want to ensure QVL prior. Additionally, most of these larger DIMMs tend to be registered / ECC so it may require XEON support.

Overall my recommendation is looking at our WS series of motherboards this is extensively validated for high density and offer extensive multi PCIe slot support.

One other item is keep in mind higher frequencies are heavily dependent on IMC ( memory controller ) and even if the board supports that density it may not be able to operate at the frequency and density on the board.

an example is

while you can buy XMP 4266 memory not all CPUs or boards can operate at this speed even if the memory is fully stable at those speeds and has been validated. The more channels the more diffucult to run at high density and high frequency. I will also not thermals are an important factor if the memory is under sustained load.

I generally would advise active airflow if the memory will continually be utilized and is under load and is operating above 3600MHz ( especially in 128 or greater configurations ). Hope this helps.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube