add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it too good to be true?

Memo1010
  • 12 months ago

I've been thinking about getting a cheap laptop, for basic uses and portability (I'll be doing a bit of traveling this Summer), and I found this one on Newegg. An i7 with 8GBs of RAM at 250 USD is a steal, which is why I'm concerned. There are 2 things, 1 is that it has only 320GBs of storage but I don't need that much anyways (and half of the stuff I'd be doing on this would be small or stored somewhere else), and both reviews mention that the charger was DOA but a new one from Dell is like 15 dollars.

That's it? Seems like a steal, where's the catch? Sure its grade B but that's not an issue. Should I pull the trigger and bite that bullet (guns everywhere!), or wait and buy a more expensive one?

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't think it's the best option even at its price point.

• Sure, it has an i7 but it's an i7-4600M from 2013 which is a low powered, dual-core CPU which, as mentioned below, can be outperformed by the G5400 even though that is a desktop CPU. It will probably struggle with Windows 10 by itself not to mention other programs/files. It certainly can't run Crysis.

• The 320GB HDD appears to be a 5400RPM from the research that I was able to do. It might offer enough storage for you but it'll be awfully slow transferring larger files should you ever need to do that.

• It could also have a 720P TN panel although it seems that some models could be equipped with a 1080p TN panel.

All of that is completely disregarding build quality, longevity, etc. Depending on your exact uses, I would consider a Chromebook at this price range. That would offer you a better experience if your workflow is mostly compatible with Chrome OS.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think it's the best option even at its price point. Sure, it has an i7 but it's an i7-4600M from 2013 which is a low powered, dual-core CPU which, as mentioned below, can be outperformed by the G5400 even though that is a desktop CPU. It will probably struggle with Windows 10 by itself not to mention other programs/files. It certainly can't run Crysis. The 320GB HDD appears to be a 5400RPM from the research that I was able to do. It might offer enough storage for you but it'll be awfully slow transferring larger files should you ever need to do that. It could also have a 720P TN panel although it seems that some models could be equipped with a 1080p TN panel.

I agree with all this, I have certainly decided not to buy it.

I would consider a Chromebook at this price range. That would offer you a better experience if your workflow is mostly compatible with Chrome OS.

I'd downvote this a million times if I could, I have a Chromebook from school but it can't do squat, my frustrations with it have been part of the reason I want to get an actual laptop. I'm gonna wait a couple of weeks and then bring my price range up a bit. Still, I suppose I can see where you're coming from, but...CHROMEBOOKS ARE OF SATAN, EVEN WORSE THAN THOSE VILE MACBOOKS MADE BY HIS SERVANTS

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Really? I suppose it would depend on what model but in general, I do enjoy Chromebooks for what they are. For someone who simply browses the web, does a bit of schoolwork and consumes media, a decent Chromebook isn't a bad consideration. I have a feeling that your school uses bottom-of-the-barrel Chromebooks considering how much hate you have for them lol.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

They aren't slow but outside of web browsing and text files they literally can't do anything. And there are plenty of things I'd use a laptop for that would never run on a Chromebook (light programming and gaming are the number 1 thing I'd be doing)

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, you have 30 days to test if everything works properly. I'm sure that's enough time to make sure.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Not only is it cheap, but it looks cheap. I doubt they used any parts in respect to quality, not to mention the laptop itself is "refurbished".

But you are in the market for a cheap laptop, therefore I don't see a reason to not bite at it. You do only have a 90 day warranty, however, so if it does bite the dust then you better hope it does it quickly. The choice is yours my friend.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

B grade refers to units that may have dents, chips or scuffs on the body, keyboard may be shiny or worn down and hair line scratches or scuffs on the screen

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Catch is this: B grade refers to units that may have dents, chips or scuffs on the body, keyboard may be shiny or worn down and hair line scratches or scuffs on the screen.

Otherwise not bad laptop for $250. CPU has about same power as my old i5 office PC I still keep using now. Good: Windows 10 Pro, 4x USB3, 8GB RAM. Swap HDD for $50 256G SSD disk and it will fly also battery will last longer.

But then, if this would be your main production tool while traveling, dont cheap out. I would get this for a kid to learn or a data acquisition rig, but not as tool I spend countles hours every day with.

[comment deleted]
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

There we go, I was waiting for an OT person to respond. I'll just keep looking I guess.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep in mind though You need a desktop to run a G5400 which isn't exactly an apple's to apple's comparison.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

off topic, its where all of the most experienced people hang out (but also on gaming, but mostly OT)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube