add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

looking for AIO or aesthetically pleasing cooler

Massive_Oof

2 days ago

I have a mATX case, the H400i, and am currently looking into replacing the stock cooler for my ryzen 5 1600. I'd prefer an aio, but anything that looks decent is fine, any suggestions?

Budget - prefer the cooler to be around $200 aud or under

Comments

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

For an air cooler I like the looks on the Dark Rock 4 cooler. It is also extremely quiet and performs like a beast. Due to the OC limit on a 1600 I am sure you will have ample headroom with the cooler.

I got a R7 1800x @ 4.0 GHz 1.381v and cool it with the dark rock pro 3 which is the old model compered to the pro 4 and I can't even hit 60c in temps on my CPU using an artificial stress test. Your CPU is a 6 core rather than 8 so I am sure a step down will be quite effective for you too.

I tend to prefer air coolers over AIOs as they can perform well and some better than 240mm AIOs, no pump noise at all, no chance for leaks or pump failure, and often are a better price for the performance. Well pump failure and leaks are something that can happen with an AIO just not something that will happen within the life of the PC so normally it is not meant to be a big concern. Noise however is something that I concern myself with more.

If you still want an AIO and want all the RGB bling then this may fit what you are looking for:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Vx22FT/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml240r-rgb-667-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlx-d24m-a20pc-r1

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestion! I agree that air coolers are better value, but I was looking for an AIO because I prefer the look. The dark rock 4 cooler that you mentioned looks really clean though, I might look into that.

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

I was able to find this build that uses the DR4 cooler and an H400i case but the pics are not the greatest. https://pcpartpicker.com/b/nQYTwP

That should give a rough idea on how it will look. Also if you do not like the fan so close to the ram it clips on using metal clips and can be put on the other side. Just make sure the fan is still blowing the air to the back and in pull config it should still work fine as air is still going through the cooler tower. If you wanted to see how my build looks in a matx case and a DRP3 which is the even larger cooler here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/MnLJ7P

Considering the power of the pro version and the heat from these CPUs I do think the pro version would be complete overkill for you as it is for me and chances are even the normal DR4 might be a bit overkill too but at least it is under half your stated budget.

I think this is one of the greatest parts about this site is if you don't know how something will look quite often you can look through completed builds for something similar and see how it looks on someone else's build. Some people like the looks of well designed big air coolers and others prefer the looks of an AIO. Rainbow puke RGB in the case is both loved and hated by many too. Other builds can also give you inspiration too if you decide to browse around.

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your help with this! I think the dr4 will look great with my build.

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

For an AIO as Tetsuclaw stated above, or you opt for an AIO that has a much greater warranty than only 2 years, like the NZXT Kraken X52 Rev 2 for example.

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I thought about that too but was not sure what aesthetic OP was looking for. Though the ones with the longer warranties tends to be more expensive (not that surprising) but that cooler does fit within OP's budget but is much closer to the cap of it.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/kTL7YJ/nzxt-kraken-x52-rev-2-731-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-rl-krx52-02

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

And basically, 6 years of warranty gives you some confident, that this AIO should be a really really solid one, qualitative wise.

That was my point actually. ;)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube