add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help safely moving files from SSD to HDD

Chiclet413

6 months ago

I recently completed a computer build which I used a 500 gb SSD to put the OS on and a 3 tb HDD for everything else. I put Windows and most of my programs on the SSD but it continuously has less and less space even though I'm not putting stuff there. Two days ago it had 22 gb free but now it only has 14. I am not inclined in this area at all. I mainly deal with software such as Photoshop and other editing programs. I guess maybe data is being directed to the SSD and I just don't know it?? Here is a list of the folders on the drive. Please tell me which ones should stay and which should go to the HDD. And then advice on how to safely do that would be much appreciated!

DRIVERS.
ESD.
Intel.
PerfLogs.
Program Files.
Program Files (x86).
SeaTemp.
Users.
Windows

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

There's a software called TreeSize that scans your drive for the largest files so you can use that to check. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is that it is the system managed paging file, windows hibernation, system restore, recycle bin not emptied, windows update, leftover gpu drivers, download in downloads folder, and history/cookies from browser are taking up space.

The paging file should take 8-16gb depending on your setup. I would keep the paging file on the system drive as there can be some weird errors/bugs in windows 8/10 when the paging file is not on the system drive. If it annoys you, then you can just free up a little more space so that windows recommended action doesn't pop up every time.

Another tip is that you can move your system download, documents, music, pictures, and video folders to your hard drive (using right click folder > properties > location).

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

CCleaner or similar tools will scratch the temp files the software likes to write. Also Windows does not give very reliable readings going to "This PC" and looking at drive/drive space.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube