add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with Plex Server parts list

Geekymama

2 days ago

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts on a parts list for a Plex server, as well as clarification on a couple of related questions.

Budget: $500-$1000

Use: dedicated Plex Server

Peripherals required: none

Considerations and questions:

1) This PC will be a dedicated Plex server - no other purpose.

2) All media will be local, and no streaming outside the local network. (Rural setting with terrible Internet options.)

3) I already have storage and backup solutions, so no need to include that.

4) Case should have space for at least three 3.5" internal drives and a 2.5" drive for the OS

5) I'd like to stick with what I know, which has been a Windows PC with several internal drives in a standard (non- RAID) format - so far that has worked beautifully, so I'd rather not deal with the learning curve of a Raspberry Pi, RAID array, NAS, etc.

6) Rarely would more than two people be streaming from the server at once (again - only locally), and the vast majority of the media is in MP4 or MKV format.

7) I currently access the server via an Apple TV attached to a television, and via the Plex Media Player on a desktop or tablet, and would expect to continue that method.

8) This PC, my TV, and my router would all be in the same location... I'd plug the PC directly into the router (and would strongly prefer onboard Ethernet to WiFi); I'd also like to use the TV as a monitor for the PC on the infrequent occasion I need to interact directly with the PC - any reason I can't do that?

9) Related to that... I assume that means the motherboard needs an HDMI output - easy to get? (That means onboard graphics, yes?) Or should I have a separate graphics card?

Is there anything else I'm not asking that I should?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube