add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Any speak other languages?

Memo1010
  • 12 months ago

Inspired by this conversation about translation, I was wondering if any speaks any languages other than English. Personally, I have decent Spanish, it's not amazing but I can mostly understand what's happening around native speakers, and can communicate decently. I also know a little bit of German but nowhere near enough to maintain a conversation.

PS: before anyone tries to make the joke programming languages don't count

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 3 points

I can speak a bit of russian.

Ckya and Blyat. Thanks CS:GO

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

I can speak english (duhh), and can understand French pretty well, I can't really speak it though.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I use to speak some Spanish but have forgotten most of it.

I know a bit of German, I really should get back to studying it.

I can read through educated guesswork pieces of multiple languages from knowing English (borrowed words and etymology help a lot), alongside bits of German, Spanish, French, and Latin.

The most useful thing about these rough translations is roughly understanding the meaning of Magic the Gathering cards spoiled in other languages... :P

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Je ne comprend pas le francais.

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

Let me see...

Je ne

I don't

comprend

understand(?)

pas

(no idea)

le francais

French

Je ne comprend pas le francais

I don't speak French

Except you just used French. Either I'm wrong or you're weird

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

...or you're weird

Figured me out ='(

What I SHOULD have said is: je parle un peu de francais. Because I speak/read a very minor amount of French from middle school and high school classes and listening to Alizee.

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

Very close. In fact it is basically perfect, its just that ne pas is kinda of like one thing, and that is what makes it go from (I understand) to (I do not understand). The final translation is I don't understand French, so yeah you got it!

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I’ve been wanting to learn Latin, but I haven’t got any resources for it yet.

• 12 months ago
  • 4 points

Do it! Carpe diem!

ok that was bad

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, alright man. Probably over the summer.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Senatus Populusque Romanus.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, since this was inspired by my thread, i guess i should say that i do not speak anything but English, i always wanted to learn, just never did.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

我说中文,y habla pequeno Espanol.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

ха! Вы должны были использовать переводчик, чтобы узнать, что я написал

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I speak primarily Western American, but having lived in the Midwest for thirteen years I sometimes catch myself sounding like them. I can understand English, and I used to be quite fluent in German but it's been years and years since I've used it. I took a semester of Latin at one of the High Schools I went to. It was the only one I attended that required a foreign language.

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

"I sometimes catch myself sounding like them."

You say that like it's a bad thing...

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't speak any other languages but my Great-Uncle speaks latin fluently. Pretty interesting.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Iv'e always struggled with foreign languages, took 2 years of Spanish and failed both years, despite the fact i was practicing 2-3 hours a day in both speaking and writing. Only classes i have ever failed through middle and high school. While it'd be cool to speak every language and understand everyone i know that is not possible by human standards. Which can be annoying due to the fact i work with alot of people who do not speak English very well.

If i had to choose a second language it'd be Irish, Hungarian or any Slavic language, for non European ones i'd say Hebrew, Japanese, Korean or any of the various languages of the austronesians.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

English, chinese, broken spanish, bad latin (Learned for a year in school and quit.)

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I am from Belgium and we have 3 official languages (Dutch, French and German). Dutch is my mother tongue my french is decent and German is so so.

Add to that one of the most important languages in the world English so i can speak around 3 and a half languages i would say.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm taking German currently, pretty fun language. Makes my mom laugh whenever I yell in German, she says I'm confirming the fact that she could never learn it.

So yea, despite the fact I live in Spain, I don't speak Spanish. So, uh, yeah...

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

¿Vives en España y no hablas Español? ¡Tienes que aprender!

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Just English. Know a few words in Nihonggo but not able to string those into a full sentence.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I speak English and kinda German

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

English, Hindi, Marathi and some French, Spanish and very little Swahili.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Taking into account some previous answers, I would say that I speak maaaany languages. (knowing some words do not count as speaking guys =D)

• Portuguese (Native)
  • Perfectly understand Spanish, and I can speak moderately
  • English

=)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube