add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New website layout! Thoughts?

ZedSamCat

7 months ago

In my opinion, its LIT!

Wanna see what everyone else feels

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 12 points

It looks clean, but everything feels very far away. I feel like I'm trying to flick on someone in CS.

• 7 months ago
  • 10 points

It looks like it was built for mobile first then blown up for desktop use rather than the other way around. The spacing is very awkward as a result. The color palette also bothers me. I'll get used to it eventually but I'm not a big fan of it honestly.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Well said...couldn't agree more. Seems a little odd given the site itself is about building desktop computers.

• 7 months ago
  • 9 points

I'm gonna be terribly honest, the first thing I saw when I opened the tab was "Wow! That's really ugly! What the hell happened?"

I mean, at least it's not unusable, but there's just something about the appearance which I dislike and can't put my finger on.

I guess it's like... I'll get used to it eventually, but meh.

FWIW I never used the site on mobile so it might offer some genuine improvements there that I wouldn't have noticed.

• 7 months ago
  • 7 points

Yeah, I’ll be one to say I’m not a fan... at all. It’s extremly offputting, almost like everything is oversized, almost seems crowded. Very disorientating.

I hardly view this site on a pc anymore (yeah... there’s a joke somewhere in here), and on a phone it’s just clunky compared to the old system. Again imo. It almost makes reddit feel organized. It takes a LOT of scrolling to get through very little information, almost like there is a scaling issue.

It IS nice to finally see featured builds on a mobile device. I’ll spend some more time on the site later this weekend and see if I get a better feel for it.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 6 points

It seems less information dense, which is frustrating. I used to be able to see an entire parts list on page load. I can still just barely fit it on screen if I scroll down, since I have no need to add anything listed below the power supply.

More importantly, I can't see any reviews/comments on parts any more. Is this a bug?

• 7 months ago
  • 4 points

I just wrapped up adding back in part reviews, completed builds using this part, compatible parts, and build videos with this part to the product pages. Those should show up any min now.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

That was quick. Thanks so much!

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

My original comment was fairly negative. At this point I'd say the redesign is a net improvement.

Things have improved quite a bit over the past few hours with other bug fixes I've noticed, but also, I can't tell if the new design is growing on me or if there are still visual improvements being made as well. It at least seems like the UI has been re-scaled to be more information dense since I made my original comment.

• 7 months ago
  • 6 points

We tightened up the spacing in the part list page. Your comments are constructive so please feel free to share more if you see other areas we can continue to fine tune the experience.

• 7 months ago
  • 6 points

Not a fan at all.

Too much wasted space, fonts are too large. White on black header makes me think of the bad old days of crappy serial terminals. It's not a "not coming back" disaster but it sure is a giant step sideways, and a little backwards.

(FWIW this is on the desktop. I have not the slightest interest in mobile; I use my phone to call people and wake me up in the morning.)

• 7 months ago
  • 5 points

Some great elements. It's going to take some getting used to, and there might still be some tweaking but I think it a step in right direction.

• 7 months ago
  • 5 points

It feels more comfortable to use and is easier on the eyes, though I do feel the text around a comment (i.e. time posted, points, edit/reply options) could be a little bigger.

There's also a few quirks:

The Build Guides tab in a user's profile is now redundant, redirecting you to the saved part lists (which have been merged with build guides).

There's a lot of empty space between the search button and... everything else. Perhaps forums, price drops, price trends, and blog will be getting their own special spots?

"There was an error submitting your comment." shows up below the Save/Cancel/Formatting Help when editing a comment.

There's no way to know if you viewed a thread since its last comment -- previously, the title wouldn't be bold anymore. Now the title is bold either way.

There's no identification for favorited parts when selecting.

By the way, for those using Firefox, the Dark Reader plugin in dynamic mode works excellently for providing a "dark mode" with this new layout.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

The bold on unread topics looks to be working now. We are going to adjust spacing on the top nav to move things closer to the search icon.

The other issues we are aware of and working on fixing up.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with these points, they could use improvment. BTW, thank you for introducing me to this amazing plugin, my friend. Note for readers: Dark Reader is also available for Safari and the ultimate RAM consumer itself, Chrome.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I love this add on, not only is it all dark but its all in comic sans now too!

• 7 months ago
  • 5 points

I think it's terrible. I use this website from my PC, not my phone. Which is understandable considering this is a PC enthusiast site...

Everything is gigantic, there's too much scrolling now. Just another case of fixing something that isn't broken, making something bad that was fine to begin with.

• 7 months ago
  • 4 points

It fits great on mobile, very well done from what I can tell so far imo

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

There is a difference between trying to fix something that isn't broken and trying improve on what works to make it better.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

You're right, but this is still a case of the former.

• 7 months ago
  • 0 points

Nope. The old mobile version worked. But it wasn't great. With the new one the mobile version is fantastic and it is a more unified experience between desktop and mobile. As somebody who uses mobile just as much as desktop this is a welcome change. If something can be improved upon why not?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

That mentality stifles innovation. Horses worked to get from point A to point B. Cars just do it a lot better without ******** all over the place while doing it. Well, unless it's a Chrysler.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Poor analogy. Cars helped us accomplish more at a faster pace than horses. This "fix" provides nothing. More of a hindrance than anything.

Not everything in the world needs innovation. Some things need to just work.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

While it may provide nothing for you aside from a hindrance, this "fix" solves a number of pain points that other users have expressed to us for years. It also solves some pain points we have developing the site.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The "hindrance" they speak of is nothing more than a learning curve. That's to be expected with any change. I definitely like the direction the website is going, even if I have to relearn some formatting, lol.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

No, the problem is everything is ******* massive and there's too much scrolling involved. There's nothing to "learn", it's just an annoying change that makes the site less desirable to use. I don't use or care about the text formatting, I just want to browse the website without my finger going numb from using the scroll wheel so much.

I have big parts lists saved with 25-30 parts. The entire list used to take up just over one screen. The new layout it's 3 screen worth of scrolling(per list!) just to compare price between 2 different builds I have saved. When I edit my build it's the same way, pages of scrolling. It's almost as if the admins never tested it on a 1080p monitor and used nothing but 4K...

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Well. I am glad that mobile is now not a hassle to use. I think it will mainly take some getting used to. But With an ultrawide monitor it makes some things feel very far apart. Especially when compared to my 16:9 monitor. Also in general things seem to be a bit more spaced out. Which as of yet idk if I like. Because even on my 16:9 monitor there is a huge gap when browsing the forums between Part List Opinions wanted, and the number of topic and the number of posts and the most recent topic. Could just take some getting used to. But it is just a matter of getting used to it.

I do like the new darker theme. Probably my favorite change.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

I like it but I noticed a flaw so far:

When selecting a part, you can't see who has built a PC using this part. I find this detrimental in my decision making on parts, especially on cases.

Other than that, it looks good. I hope to see an official dark mode in the future.

• 7 months ago
  • 4 points

Ah yep! We'll get that fixed up (parts linking completed builds)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The website is broken and unusable on my end. I would've replied directly to the post, but I can't, given that the header is completely obstructing the top of the page.

I'm on mobile. iPad 3, iOS 9.3.5.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

We've looked into it and it looks like your version of Safari on iOS 9.3.5 doesn't support CSS grid. That breaks the nav header pretty bad. Upgrading to iOS 10.3 gets you there, but it seems that that's not possible on an iPad 3. I've forwarded your issue on to our lead designer, and he's seeing what he can do to rework the nav header to not use CSS grid.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for the late reply.

Thank you!

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

This is now fixed and back in place.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

I up-voted another comment on this topic, but before I start I have to mention how much I enjoy this new layout. I appreciated the look on the other site and moving it here just seems right.

That being said, I would really appreciate some sort of new-styled way of viewing builds that use parts that are searched. Previously, you were able to look at other's posts with parts not listen in the sorting options found in the 'Completed Builds' section.

I really do like the other changes and the more modern-looking design and hope it doesn't go away. Cheers PCPP Staff :D

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

The builds with X component functionality is back in place now with an updated look.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the update! :)

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I like it but it will take some getting used to.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I love it, but I prefer slider bars for storage rather than check boxes due to convenience

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

That's a bug - those will be hidden once I fix it (tonight).

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Is it just me, or is it not indicating read vs. unread threads with bold font?

• 7 months ago
  • 4 points

Yep. That's currently broken. Will get that fixed tonight.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

This is now fixed.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I love the new layout, the spacing is kinda weird along with the fact that user completed builds are now alphabetized instead of allowing the user to change the order manually. Also the Copyright PCPP thing reads 2017, I'm not sure if that is intentional or not.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I'll probably allow sorting (and folders) for completed builds sometime down the road.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I was really worried that when Philip went to the new layout, it would lose its original look. I am glad to see that a lot of the elements honestly stayed the same. It still looks like the site with a makeover, instead of just a brand new "modern" looking site (i kind of like the 2013 style websites. I also like the fact that the site is not slow (i seen so many sites get a revamp, and they slow down to a crawl. This did not happen here.

The only thing that i will have to get used to, is the head elements just dont feel like they have enough separation in colors. The secondary menu (where favorite parts, saved parts , log out, is) color and the primary menu (where system builder, build guides is) dont have much separation in colors and makes them kind of blend together (i will get used to it).

In closing, i will say that it is still a outstanding job on the revamp of the website.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

First impression isn't great on my 21:9 monitor. I'll have to give it some time before I can say anything concrete though.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I didn't expect so many people to comment on this! Thanks!

I also set a PB for most replies in my inbox with 28 so lmao

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Grats lol

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

ikr

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

It's fine. I really didn't have any gripes with the other one. One thing I do like about this one is it's easier to read. (Older eyes + bigger letters = better) I don't use the mobile version so I don't have any input on it.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I probably used mobile 15% of the time tops, so it's not my priority either. But I'm on it right now while my car gets oil changed and I can definitely vouch for it; it is MUCH improved over the old mobile experience. They did good!

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

That's good to hear, except for encouraging people to be disconnected from their environment. lol

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Lol pcpp is ruining society.

• 7 months ago
  • 4 points

Says the guy with Palpatine as an avatar... (maybe he was just terribly misunderstood? Maybe the rebels were just terrorists.)

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

And Vader was a disabled war veteran continuing to fight to bring peace, freedom, justice, and security to his people.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

+1

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

In your notifications, the Permalink to take you to specific comments doesn't seem to work anymore for comments that are located on a chain that continues onto a second page (when you have to click "Continue this thread").

I'm on mobile chrome on iOS. This used to not work a long time ago on old pcpp too.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

We are aware of the issue and working on a fix.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Mobile friendly layout is great but I want an option to switch to desktop layout, something that pretty much every other website has.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

OK I've made up my mind: I can't stand it

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

lmao

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I would like an option to use the old one. I use this a bit on my phone and it make it very cluttered and I can't see all the parts at once.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I like it on mobile but really want the original site back for desktops. The new site looks bad on a desktop, but the old site looked perfect for desktops imo.

Some of the new things I like:

• looks good on mobile
  • no misclicking when using a touchscreen
  • darker theme

What I don't like:

• no prices by merchant
  • bold black icons
  • black borders everywhere
  • small text is missing from buttons (for example, the "Completed Builds" buttons used to say VIEW ALL Completed Builds)
  • lots of filter categories missing on 4:3 screens (for example: in the Storage category, the storage type and cache size are missing on a 4:3 screen, but are there on a 16:9 screen)
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow. Definitely not what I expected. Not bad though! I like the more modern look it has now.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

It's amazing. I was worried it'd be extremely drastic and way different, but it's not, it's just a hugely improved site everywhere around!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

This is totally crazy, but it is nice modern look.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Due to my eyesight i have to zoom in at at least 150% but other than that i like the new layout.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

May need to get used to it but it is amazing. Really like it.

Though, have you considered doing a "version switcher" like Reddit added when they did their update?

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

have you considered doing a "version switcher" like Reddit added when they did their update?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNQYDNKVDuo#t=17

• 7 months ago
  • 0 points

We have no plans to allow use of older styling.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks nice, but I hope the price/GB filter will come back for RAM modules soon!

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

This is now back as a column.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I prefer the old design along with the website really needs a dark theme. I will never understand why people don't offer dark themes.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I have never gotten tired of the layout on PCPP, but I definitely still love the new layout! A little more bolded and full if that makes sense.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

its so bright... tbh im not sure but wasnt the old site darker with some dark mode of sorts?

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Same color scheme with a couple very slight shifts in tone. Last site didn’t have a dark mode but this one will soon. It’s one of the main features I have lined up to add next.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. One more thing: I'm from Germany but everytime I open the site it is set to USA, which is slightly annoying. Should be an easy fix :)

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

pcpartpicker.com is the US version of the site. You will want to use DE.pcpartpicker.com for Germany

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you i appreciate it!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

i think

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool I guess, but I was surprised when I got on

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Same

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

It's pretty solid, but it will take some getting used to for the layout.

I feel that it has elements of the old layout hanging around (still the small text-hyperlinks for Forums, Price Drops, Price Trends, and Blog instead of full buttons like the buttons having to do with builds).

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Philip, thanks for this great PC building tool. Your change has removed the important case fan information. I used to be able to find the fan I needed because your list had cfm and decibels. Its got neither now and what used to take 2 mins to find a fan now takes 2 hours to not find the right fan.

I wish you could add these back as your list was the best around, now its just a list and useless to me.

Thankyou for your hard work.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Those columns are still there, they just get hidden on smaller resolutions to fit the screen. What resolution are you running by chance? I can tune it to hopefully make it fit in your threshold.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh cool, ok, I use 2560x1440, should I change something?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem, they are back, once again thanks for the great site Philip.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

i like it a lot more than the old one, i think its just bc i was getting tired of the old stuff!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "General > Site Feedback And Feature Requests".

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't see all my saved list on mobile, I have a ludicrous number of lists and the new design prevents me from scrolling down to the newest ones. On both mobile and desktop the new design seems horribly bloated vertically. Just look at the site footer! It makes putting together a list a chore if you don't have a scroll wheel because it broke or your laptop never had one.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm seeing 125 lists on both desktop and mobile views. What phone are you using and browser?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Firefox for Android, I'll count my lists

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

My apologies, I thought I had more than 126 but I can see my most recent list, one I made after the changes. My mistake paired with the abrupt end (no bottom padding/border/margin) I thought I was missing some.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm seeing a bit of wonkiness on my end with some potential cutoff using firefox. I sent it over to our graphics dev to take a look.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Just missing the list/image view option and sort by dropdown

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The home page looks really odd and simplistic. Images of builds, in particular the featured build section are extreme close ups and fuzzy. Wasted space abounds all around the single, fuzzy image. It all kinda ruins the impact of the page entirely.

Throughout the site itself the default size of text is huge, and takes up way too much space as a result. Spacing is so awkward that it seems design was an after thought. I get that this new layout will work across platforms and devices, but I have to say respectfully, you seem to have missed the mark on a lot of the basics.

I'm on a 1080p 13" laptop using Chrome, or my 1440p desktop. I can see from the comments that things have improved greatly for mobile, but that really isn't the case for traditional PC's. That's a great shame, as that's what this site is all about.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally do not like it now. Things are harder to use, there is more scrolling involved, and everything is bigger.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty bangin'. I like it!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I only miss the revision list on your build guides (along with their date of modification). It really helped me stay in sync with your updates. Please bring it back!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Completed builds list is stuck in alphabetical sort and can't be re-ordered? I'd like to have it in chronological order, or be able to move them around, like the saved parts lists.. :/

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

The default sort is most recent and can be changed with the dropdown on the top right.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm talking about my OWN Completed Builds section. It would be awesome if it had the same functionality as the Saved Part Lists, ie moving them up and down and creating folders. But just being able to reorder them would be nice.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 2 points

The filters are the same as the old version. Well, aside from the color filter missing but that's a bug that should be fixed today. Seeing builds on the product page has been fixed.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube