add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Vega 56/64 + PSU Upgrade or RTX 2060?

greggybeawr

7 months ago

Hi all, just wanted to get some feedback on what would be better value for money. I currently have a 520W Seasonic M12II PSU, my only concern is down the line even if I do get a 2060, I will end up needing to upgrade my PSU eventually anyway.

Thoughts? Even with undervolting, I don't think my 520W PSU will keep up with either Vegas anyway. Price for the used Vega + PSU is about the same as a brand new 2060.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Used Vega+PSU is probably your best value assuming you get one that hasn't been horribly abused, and that any free games deals are for games you aren't interested in purchasing.

When tweaking Vega it can be quite sensitive to input power quality, and given the age and group regulation of the M12II I wouldn't really bother trying.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

It's still on the table, does the 1660 Ti beat out Vega though? At the same price, I'd gladly invest in a bigger PSU then undervolt/oc it.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The Vega 56 is generally ahead of the 1660Ti.

Digital foundry have done a pretty solid review on eurogamer: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-04-15-gtx-1660-ti-benchmarks-7001 bar assassins creed unity (that is always a odd quirk)

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Let me guess, mining?

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Now that seems like a false statement about the vrms on amd cards

Last time I checked, the vrms on the vega 56/64 were overkill as people were able to push stupidly high power limits mod on them (thou no known longevity affects has happened yet but just handling it is impressive)

Also, most miners undervolt the core, overclock the memory and max out the fan. They undervolt so they save power on their bills and need the room to be kept cool so none of the equipment overheat.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The asus strix vega 56/64 vrms are actually even better built than the normal vegas but suffer from high temps due to the thermal pads being too thin and not being wide enough either.

Replacing the thermal pads with something wider and thicker fixes all the overheating issues on the vrm

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/96l9da/strix_vega_fixing_the_horrendous_vrm_heat/

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube