• Log In
  • Register

CPU for new build: Intel i7-8700k or wait for Ryzen 3000

Forum Search


  • Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed


nathansanta 1 day ago

I'm looking at building a new micro atx system and have narrowed down most of the parts except the CPU. I will be running a 2080 and looking to pair it with something that will be able to keep up in games as well as give me decent multi-tasking potential. I was initially pretty set on the i7-8700k which is around $580-$600 AUD. I wouldn't want to pay much more than that if I can help it. I have seen the 9700k for around $650AUD, but from what I can tell there's not a huge difference in performance between the two. The main question I've been asking myself is whether I should wait and see what the new Ryzen chips have to offer.

I'd like to build in the next month or so but if Ryzen would launch late May/June then I can hold out until then. (But then there's the old 'If you wait for the next best thing to come out, you'll be waiting forever'). So should I hang out for Ryzen and see how it compares? From what I can tell it could compete pretty closely with Intel. Or should I just pull the trigger on the 8700k?

Comments Sorted by:

DrLitch 1 Build 3 points 21 hours ago

I usually advise that the waiting game invokes the perpetual cycle of procrastination in an industry which is unforgiving to those that wait and unforgiving to those that do not (given one's gear is outdated in the next product iteration).

Since you do not appear in any hurry to build a PC, I would push the i7-8700K off to one side. Although nobody knows what Ryzen 3000 will bring to the table (waiting for the unknown is pointless in my opinion), given the 8700K is on a soon to be defunct platform anyway, you may as well not purchase it and hold off to see if the grass is greener on the other side.

Although we know next to nothing about Ryzen 3000, we can still make a couple of educated assumptions. It is safe to assume that it will be an upgrade on Ryzen 2000 (we would all be shocked if it was not). If it is an upgrade, even if relatively minor, then it will likely be a better purchase than the 8700K. Hard to say without knowing the details whether Ryzen 3000 would offer a major improvement, but if it goes 20% above Ryzen 2000 (reasonable assumption) then the entire chipset range, at each iteration, will reach parity or outclass Intel's offerings in same product range. Rumors suggest Ryzen 3000 will add two or more cores and a clock increase to each product. If so, Ryzen 3000 will be pretty hard to beat. Some rumors suggest single core speeds approaching or exceeding Intel with a 5GHz-5.3GHz boost on up to 16 cores. If so, even the Xeon W-3175X might get ousted by a consumer class product for a few hundred dollars. Who knows, it is all speculative, lets wait and see.

In this case, waiting is not a terrible idea given you do not have an immediate need for a PC. But be firm. Do not wait for Ryzen 3000 and then decide to wait a further 6 months to see if Intel have anything up their sleeves, then wait a further 6 months in case AMD do anything major to counteract, rinse and repeat...

nathansanta submitter 1 point 8 hours ago

Agreed, if I'm constantly waiting for the next release cycle then I'll never build my system. Great point on the 8700k nearing end of its life too. I don't imagine the next generation of Intel motherboards will have support for 8th gen chips but who knows. And I think AMD have said they'll try and get as much out of the AM4 socket as they can for future gens.

I reckon I'll wait to see what Ryzen 3000 has to offer and make the call then. Gives me a bit of time to save for a 9700k as an alternative (more future proof than the 8700k), and it might have even dropped in price slightly (a boy can dream).


Radox-0 5 Builds 2 points 1 day ago

In your situation, I would personally wait given you mention you will be waiting around a month to build anyways. Not too far off when computex will be with the anticipated AMD showcase. Though it does likely mean your month timeframe to build will be a month and half - two months if the new stuff does go on sale in parallel with computex. I would also throw in, Micro ATX if your waiting for the new gen boards may take longer given the initial focus on ATX boards usually.

Performance wise, of course hard to say how it will pan out. I personally expect the comparably priced AMD CPU to the 8700k will close the delta in terms of single core performance (though still a notch behind) but be ahead in terms of multicore performance. however this is all just a guessing game and remains to be seen as to how things pan out.

So TL:DR, if you have no pressing need to build a new system which I am inferring from your post is not the case, then I would wait. If you need to build now, the 8700k is a solid CPU regardless and still a powerhouse for gaming (on par with the best stuff out once matched clock for clock) and solid showing in multi-threaded stuff depending on what your actually talking about.

bucketofcrud12 4 Builds 1 point 1 day ago

if you can afford to wait for ryzen 2, thats great, as you can at least see what the benchmarks are really going to be. if you cant wait, then perhaps just go intel now, and see if you feel like moving to AMD later.

mark5916 1 point 16 hours ago

That's up to you, but keep in mind this...

As you very well know, Intel uses a different socket board than AMD does.

If you buy Intel and wanna switch to AMD for whatever reason, that means the Intel board would be obsolete to you.

And of course the above applies to an AMD board as well.

Wrobo 2 Builds 1 point 15 hours ago

What I did (I was not waiting) was to go AMD (2700x) and get a good MOBO (good VRM's) with the thought that if Ryzen 3000 was the bomb, I could easily swap out the chip. I also went with the 3200Mhz CAS14 memory (2x8).