add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cpu overclock question here..,

xPete

4 months ago

Will it be dumb(sorry for the word) if I overclock my ryzen5 2600x to 4.1GHz if the boost clock is 4.2GHz?

I mean like I know that overclocking boost all cores of the cpu but if I put it on 4.1 will it make sense?

I dont know guys, I just want to do it in 1 safe run. target is I want my cpu to last long like 3+ years but also get some good stuff on my games.

Im running a 60hz 4k monitor and 3200mhz 16gb ram plus AIO cooler.

Also, I run a cinebench to check my cpu temps at max load(so I can compare if I oc it) and it sits at 67C max. is that good? and around what temps my cpu would go if I overclock it higher?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 4 points

Normally a core or so will boost higher, around the 4.2 GHz - 4.25 Ghz mark AFAIK. If you overclock all your cores to 4.1 GHz, it means with lightly threaded stuff you may see a marginal regression in terms of performance and a boost in overall multi-threaded performance.

Personally from the sounds of it, given your just gaming, I would leave things at stock anyways and let the XFr and PBO do its thing as your on a 60hz 4k panel. Out the box the CPU will usually have no issues pushing 60 FPS and limit will be with the GPU @ 4k. some benchmarks (3200 MHz ram on guru 3D review): https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_2600x_review,20.html and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOOohlyJem0 while its 1080p, it's ideal as the limit is more likely to be the CPU and even then Ryzen does 60 FPS + in all the games. With 4k it will do similar, but the impact to GPU will be heavier.

67 degrees is fine.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I want my CPU to last long like 3+ years...

I would worry about the other components than the CPU. lol

Don't be surprised if the CPU will last 13+ years, provided you will keep that CPU for that long. :-P

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube