• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

mattmonster 5 days ago

i havent looked up pc parts for 2 years now i remember in 2017 they were saying the new i 5 8th gens were suppose to be much much better than the 7th gen i series for mobile devices

curious how much better cpus are in 2019 compared to the ones in 2017 like ryzen 51600x was very popular back when i last checked

Comments Sorted by:

Tetsuclaw 5 Builds 2 points 5 days ago

For Intel it was a core jump from kabylake in 2017 to now. For the i3 through i7 it used to be 2c4t>4c4t>4c8t and 8th gen was 4c4t>6c6t>6c12t and 9th gen is the same but i7 is 8c8t and i9 is 8c16t.

For Ryzen the core/thread count in the r3 to r7 changed very little. The only change so far was in the r5 CPUs where the 1400 and 1500 had 4c8t and the 2nd gen ruzens followed the trend of the 1600 with 6c12t. Well the 2500g followed the 1400 example but with an igpu and has little reason to buy that CPU unless you plan to not use a graphics card (use cases even outside of gaming too) or get a really good deal on it.

The other thing that changed a bit is slight bumps in clock speeds on both. IPC is still basically the same for now with both AMD and Intel being very close unlike the days of before Ryzen.

The r5 1600 and x version were popular because of the value you got on a 6c12t CPU and it is the same for the 2600 now. If Intel stuck the i5 at 4c4t even if it was overclockable on a more expensive k skew CPU they would have fallen behind but they made them 6c6t to keep up. I love the competition between AMD and Intel as it works out better for us.

mattmonster submitter 1 point 5 days ago

so atm what do you think is best for the money for mid grade? back then everyone liked the ryzen 1600 over the i5s i5s were around 230 or so vs 180 for ryzen and the extra things intel pcs need

Tetsuclaw 5 Builds 1 point 5 days ago

Right now the locked i5 and r5 2600 are really close, much closer in price to performance than you realize. LTT did a video about it and this is a good watch: https://youtu.be/SEszLdXMMu4

Specific needs to determine what is the best value really depends on what you want to do with the build. Use case is the most important consideration.

but ryzen motherboards r cheaper and other parts for it right? so id think it would bethe best bet

Tetsuclaw 5 Builds 1 point 5 days ago

Well that video compares a cheap non overclocking intel board with a locked i5-8400 with the r5-2600. When AMD is not overclocked Intel beats AMD by a tiny % and when AMD is overclocked AMD took the win by a small %. Considering how close it is on either side all of them are within 5% if performance per dollar so you really can't go wrong with either side.

Though decent b450 chipset boards are cheaper than decent z370/z390 boards but I would set unlocked Intels. I have a hard time suggesting an unlocked i3 these days so it would be an i5 or higher and you are looking at a higher cost than a mid tier PC by that point.

would i really need to over clock my amd though? with as powerful as it is id not think it would be necessary for basic gaming when im not streaming doing videos ect just want it to be fast mostly playing ps2 emulators and ps3

bucketofcrud12 4 Builds 1 point 5 days ago

what in the heck is X390? oh you mean Z370/Z390...

LegionNate 1 point 4 days ago

Not a lot has changed. Unlike ARM SoCs, which have made progress in leaps and bounds recently, the x86 side has stagnated and any processor from 2017 will perform similarly to a processor priced about the same in 2019.

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 4 days ago

The "much better" for 8th gen vs 7th was all about power consumption rather than performance, IIRC. (There might have bee some specific hardware optimization too, but what it was escapes me atm, maybe some kind of video decode acceleration.) 8th gen vs 7th in general computing performance is a very minimal difference.

The question of best value is always about what you're going to use the computer for. Best value for general multi-tasking isn't necessarily the best value for gaming, and even the latter will depend to some extent on what games you're playing.